Destination Imagination – The Sequel!

As you can probably remember, about a month ago I wrote a post about the Destination Imagination regional tournament (for those who don’t know, Destination Imagination, or D.I for short, is a competition where teams of kids of all ages from across the world create performances based on a specific set of criteria and present them at tournaments). During this tournament, our group came 3rd in the main challenge and 1st in our instant challenge. We were pretty happy with these scores, but hoped that we could improve during the provincial tournament. Last weekend was the provincials, and our group didn’t just improve, but came in first for both challanges! This blog post outlines everything you need to know about the D.I 2017 B.C Provincials tournament. If you want to learn more about D.I and the scientific challenge, check out the links below:

Destination Imagination Official SitePLPeople at the D.I B.C Provincials

The Road to Improvment

I feel that our group has improved greatly since regionals and I think the main reason for that is because we were better rehearsed. Like I mentioned in my previous blog post, our group had focused mainly on prop building and script writing instead of practicing before regionals, which lead to a sloppy and scattered performance. We also were unable to decode our insta-crypted message because we hadn’t rehearsed using our de-coding sheet.

Our Groups Main Challenge Trophy and Medals From Provincials

To fix this problem, our group spent every chance we got to work on D.I together practicing, which proved to make a major difference at provincials. Another thing that greatly improved our performance was shortening and editing our script. During regionals, our group went over the time limit which had a heavy effect on our score. Because of this, we had to shorten our script and change a major plot point. This, as well as the fact that our group was down a member, proved to be quite a problem, but after getting together during lunch time and practicing/revising a lot, our group was able to overcome our challenge and succeed.

Want to meet the rest of The Inquisitors (my team)? Here are the links to their blogs:

Austin “Saxophone Guy” Hart

Kailey “Apple” Donovan

Robin “Hand of Great Light” Rijniersce

Logan “Grand Elder” Underwood

Reflecting on D.I

If you would have asked me at the beginning of Destination Imagination where I thought I’d be in three months, I never would have guessed that my team would come in first at provincials. So much has happened since we started working on this project, and I feel like I’ve learned a lot. One key skill that this project has helped me develop is teamwork. When working in a group, I know that I can be a bit controlling at times, and D.I has helped me realize this and learn how to compromise more. It has also taught me the importance of being organized and keeping in contact with your team. Preparing for D.I hasn’t always been easy, but it’s been and exciting, challenging, and fun learning experience and I’m excited to see what’s in store for D.I 2018!

Here is a reflection video I have created about the D.I B.C Provincial tournament:

One thought on “Destination Imagination – The Sequel!

1. Thank you, Emily, this is very well written and captures a lot of the DI experience. I also really enjoyed watching your reflection video. Thank you very much for sharing with others. I also like the wolf picture you have used.