And The Story Begins…

Welcome back to another year of learning. I’m excited to see what is in store for PLP 10. I’ve decided to try a more personal approach to my learning portfolio posts this year, and I hope it can help me share my thoughts. Our first unit this year focuses on the driving question “How do authors use text to teach us more about ourselves?”. We started off with the writing prompt of a story of transformation that impacted us (see here).

Our first book challenge – 3 Scenes: These 3 scenes where chosen because each on introduces a main character. This is key because this is a character driven story, and these 3 scenes give us a great taste on what is to come.

Our main focus for this unit is on a book of choice, and I have chosen The Perks of Being a Wallflower. It is a coming of age story about Charlie, a misfit boy in high school with a naive view of the world. The reason I chose to read this book was because I instantly felt I could relate to the character. Due to him being the epitome of elementary school innocence, my prediction is that the focus on this book will be his transformation into a fully fledged high schooler. I also predict there will be some rough learning curbs for him, especially with relationships. I can’t wait to see how this book turns out.