The Secret to Success – Your Mindset

Alot of people say to be successful, you need to be born smart or with innate skills, but the real key to success lies within your mindset. If you believe that failures are defeats, that if you don’t succeed at first you shouldn’t try at all, then you won’t make it very far in life. If you see failures as opportunities to learn and grow however, you shall be able to do whatever you put your mind to.

Our Growth Mindset Unit

Having a growth mindset can be exceptionally useful in school, but the problem is, most people don’t learn to develop one. A lot of schools focus purely on grades and final products, not the steps and revisions you took to get there. The growth mindset unit we have been working on is teaching us that the process of failiure is normal, and is critical for learning how to succeed.

My Famous Growth Mindset Paragraph

One of the first assignments we had for this unit was to write a paragraph on a famous person who had failed a lot, but proved they had a growth mindset and prevailed.

Famous Person: Katy Perry

Katy Perry demonstrates a growth mindset because before she was famous she dropped out of high school to become a singer. She used to be a gospel singer and released her first album in 2001, but it was quite unsuccessful. It only sold 200 copies, so her contract was canceled and the record company she worked with went out of business. She felt defeated, but she still pursued her dream and kept a growth mindset. One of her quotes that reflects her attitude is “I come from a very non-accepting family, but I’m very accepting.” This means that she might have had a rough childhood, but she doesn’t dwell on that and has become a better person because of it. This inspires me to have a growth mindset because I know that if I’m not accepted, or if I completely fail at something, it doesn’t mean I should stop. It just means I should try harder.

My Sketch Notes

Sketch notes are visual representations of what you think of something such as a video or a presentation. These are some sketch notes I drew when watching a video on Growth Mindset.

My Selfie Poster

The fianl project of this unit (besides this post) was to make a poster with our faces and a personal growth mindset quote on it. The problem was, when I was going to take my picture it was getting dark out, so I had to climb a tree to get enough light. I made sure that the camera was looking down on me and to the side so there would be enough room to write my quote. I used the app Canva to create my poster.

Reflection

Overall, I feel like I have learned a lot from this growth mindset unit (like how I should revise my blog posts). It has taught me something no other school course has: how to fail. Life is constantly changing, so having a mindset that can adapt is really important. In terms of my poster, I like how it turned out, but I probably should have taken my photo earlier so I could have spent more time editing it.