Winter Exhibition Review

In PLP we have two large presentations or exhibitions of our work per year, one in the early winter and one in early summer. We have now completed our first exhibition, the winter one. The main topic of study last term was religion and worldview. I have already done a blog post on my worldview, to view it click “here”. As we were learning about the different religions, we went to visit some of their sites of worship. At each site we had to take photos of “how each religion represented their worldview in the real world” then we had to combine some of the photos in to a documentary.

For the winter exhibition each group was assigned one of the six most practiced religions. Then we had to make a poster showing how they represent their worldview in the real world through the following; appearance, architecture, artwork, clothing, food, holy text, music, language, leader, representation of deities, symbols and worship rituals.

My group consisted of Ryan, Malaika, Grace and Ally. Our religion we were assigned was Islam. My group decided that the five pillars of Islam would work to convey how they represent their worldview in the real world.

• Draft 1

The five pillars of Islam are five laws and guidelines to live by, they were supposedly set by Allah (god). If you don’t live by all five then you are not a true Muslim. We had to make a sample of a traditional Islamic food and create an activity that represents Islam. The food we made was date squares; dates are traditional to the Islamic culture because they take a long time to expire in the heat of the desert. The activity we created was “write your name in Arabic”, we chose this because it is different from English in many ways: you write from right to left, all the letters are connected with lines and there are less letters in the Arabic alphabet than in the English alphabet.

Some of my favourite moments of the entire project was the fact that everyone was always happy to teach us about their religion and also was intrigued that we were learning about other religions as well.

I enjoyed and learnt a lot from my first PLP exhibition and the projects leading up to it.

-Finn