It’s The End Of The World Song Remake

During term 2 in PLP the main focus in my humanites class was how someone’s worldview can change through transitions in life. There were multiple small projects that eventually led up to a final project, a recreation of the song; Its The End Of The World As We Know It, by R.E.M.

The first project or “milestone” was to read a book about the crusades called The Book Of The Lion in table our table groups (mine was with three other people, Noah, Lauren, and Kaia). The book is written from a young soldier’s perspective, the main events in the story are true, while most of the things that happen to the main character and the main character himself are fictional. The “project” part of this assignment was to complete a “role sheet” for a different part of the book each week. I enjoyed this milestone because essentially this project was reading a certain amount of chapters a week and then doing a review and researching things in the chapter that we were interested in.

• Book Of The Lion

The second milestone was a paragraph answering the question: how did the Crusades encourage a cultural exchange to shift worldview? We had to choose one side of the conflict (Western Europe or Muslims) and focus on how their worldview shifted through the crusades. A learning moment that stood out for me was how the Christians lost the wars but gained something else, a change in worldview.

For the third milestone we had to create a MindNode or mind map on how our worldview changed between elementary and high school through the seven aspects of worldview (geography, time, beliefs, society, values, economy, and knowledge). This project was slightly more challenging for me because my change from elementary to high school was through homeschooling.

For the fourth milestone we had to create a triple Venn diagram on our worldview, our peers’ worldview, and experts’ thoughts about worldview and its change from elementary to secondary school. I found this project slightly more challenging for me than some of the other projects because my change from elementary to high school was via homeschooling.

The fifth milestone was to start our recreation of the song; Its The End Of The World As We Know It, by R.E.M. for the the first part of this project we had to rewrite the lyrics. The new lyrics had to be about our transition from elementary to high school but a main focus on the grade 7 to 8 transition. The second part of this project was to create a photo album for our grade 7 to 8 transition. I found this part of the project difficult because of my transition through homeschooling I don’t have very many photos.

• Draft 1

The sixth and final milestone of this project was to complete the song (more into that later). The first part of this project was to sing our rewritten lyrics to an instrumental version of the song. The second part of this project was to force the people in our table groups lyrics together. Then we each had to chose a verse and sing it, with the entire group singing the chorus. Part three of this project was to make an iMovie slideshow of the photos we had collected. Part four was to upload the completed video to YouTube.

-Finn