Grace’s Blog

My Learning Portfolio, or My Blog, or Whatever You Want to Call it

Math at Mid-year

Yayyyyy! Another blog post (this is the third one I’ve done in two days)! This is one about a subject I’ve never fully covered before; math. Math is one of my favourite subjects in school, even if everyone else doesn’t like it. I’d say this year has actually thrown me off course a bit when when it comes to this subject. All of elementary, I worked out of textbooks, and to suddenly be in a position where nothing like that is in play was had me taken aback.

Nothing like a math joke to start!

Let’s begin with some Pythagorean theorem! A2+B2=C2….. This will forever be inside my brain, thanks to the worksheets and the brain teasing questions Ms. Klausen gave to the class. We didn’t do a project for this so the next unit, which was fractions, came right away. There were some basic questions and we learned how to apply them into order of operations.

Pythagoras work straight outta my notebook!

After these, we then moved onto the time of great project-ness (it’s a word now). Exploring surface area and volumes was the unit, and and he project was one our teacher called “The Door is a Bore No More” because there were five groups of four that would each get a segment of the door. Once we had this, it was the responsibility for each group to increase their surface to five times what is was at the beginning using only 3-D shapes. This was certainly harder than it looks. My group faced hardships when it came to figuring out the best solution and working well together. This project lasted from around the beginning of December to the first week back after the break. It took so long because there was lots of construction to be done as well as problems to work out.

Considering everything I’ve done up until this point in the school year, I’d say that I’ve found a few of the math problems challenging, but not undoable. The hardest part was certainly working in a group for the door project, and that is a very large chunk of what I want to improve on for the remainder of the year.

geometryGrade 8GroupworkMathPLPproject

graceb • January 23, 2018