Destination Imagination take 2

The Destination Imagination Regional tournament was a big success for my group, Ending on a High Note. But that wasn’t the last of DI, because we also competed in the provincial tournament.

If your wondering what I’m talking about, Destination Imagination (DI) is a tournament we do in PLP. You use skills such as critical thinking and team work to pull of a presentation that is only limited by your imagination and the challenge requirements/restrictions.

As we came 1st in the regional tournament there was no doubt provincials would be a breeze. But that’s not what DI is really about. In DI you have to be able to use creativity and critical thinking to solve any problems thrown your way. Which is what we did when not one but two of my teammates Robbie, and Sofia weren’t able to make it to provincials. With only half of our team now being Lucas and I, we had a lot of work ahead of us.

Revisions

Because Robbie was the main character and performed the spectacle we needed an effective way to replace him. We first came up with creating a robot dressed like Robbie’s character Roberto. Let’s just say not everyone was a fan the Robot Roberto idea.

The next idea we had was more out of my comfort zone, but I decided to give it a go. Using Sofia’s sowing skills with Robbie’s and my costume we combined them so I could be two people at once.

Because we were able to keep “Roberto” who we now named “Harmony” we were also able to keep most of the script. When changing our script we made sure to focus on what would make sense to the audience. We also had to assign new roles for things like who will play the music and who does the set change so we wouldn’t scramble on stage.

Change of Tune Revised Script

I learned alot about what goes into a production and how you have to take consideration to every single piece in it.

I also learned how to memorize lines quickly because I went from having two lines to about 24 (not including the three songs). I also had to deal with stage fright because even though I’m a competitive dancer this type of performance I never do.

The Tournament

Something Lucas and I definitely learned at this tournament is that teammates motivate each other and help each other to stay calm, and be on track. So it made everything a lot harder not having two of our teammates with us. We definitely got off track and weren’t motivated during our instant challenge, unlike we usually were. But we managed to perform our central challenge just like we rehearse.

https://youtu.be/NO-BeQcQU84

Results

Our hard work seemed to pay off because we came in second! Even though there is so much more we could have done we managed to push through with a good attitude and accomplish what we hoped.

The appraisers score your central challenge and give you positive feedback.

Why we do DI

In PLP we do DI because it benefits us in the same way the program does. It is scientifically proven that students who participate in DI become better at creative and critical thinking, collaboration and idea generation.

With everything that happened and all the hard work we did as a team I’m glad to say we were able to “end on a high note”.