“ O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?“

The last project of the semester done!

We recently wrapped up our project on Romeo and Juliet.

This project I really enjoyed, why? Well it it was led by Mr.Harris!… and the final product was a skit.

First steps :

the first step of the project reading the play, Mr.Harris summarized certain acts while others we would have to read… as a class. It took some adjustment and after the 1st act was done all of us got quite into it, reading it as if we were all in drama class going over out scripts.

That took a while, while reading we needed to learn all the new (technically really old) vocabulary and understand Old English insults.

Some of my favourites

Once the play with all read and done! we got to experience some adaptations:

Movies we watched:

And in my own time I watched:

Once we watched “every single adaptation of Romeo and Juliet known to man”, we had to assess. We needed to find connections from the play to the adaptations

Boy did this take a while! We needed to; Identify the quote we wanted to connect, copy and paste it into the theme book, cite the lines act number and scene. Then we needed to identify the theme, translate what message Shakespeare was trying to convey and translate it into modern day terms, find said quote at least one of the adaptations then link the video of the scene where the spastic line was said, maybe put a time stamp so the person doesn’t have to watch 15 minutes of dialogue just to get to the quote from and then connect the both the lines said in the script to the lines said in the adaptation together, you need to find; differences in context, who said what, changes of setting, context in the overall film/play, things like that.. imagine doing that at least once for every single act?! Eventually  you got the hang of it from dousing it tons of times and you understood what you were looking for and it went by pretty quickly.

Once we understood connection to adaptation we were off to make our own adaptation!

To start we were all separated into groups ( I got placed in a group with: DylanCarter and Colton). And we all collectively chose a scene we wanted to re-create. The most well-known ones of course those being, for example; The balcony scene, the fight scene, The final death scene, love at first sight, etc. 

We chose the fight scene, between Tybalt and Marcutio. (Act 3, seven 1)

Once we pick the scene, the ideas started flowing 🎴and I had to write down the pitch form and trust me that was hard work. To narrow down to one solid idea too us a while because we all had so many great ideas, angles, genres, things like that but once we had a solid lockdown idea we were ready to execute.

It took us three days to film. We asked Mr.Harris if we could use the annex, he said yes. So the day before we were going to film, we figured out the lighting we wanted and then the day of filming Colton and Dylan arrived in costume, Colton brought the chessboard and his dongle and we were ready to film.

We attempted to make a storyboard for it but we ended up going off the books and just taking it scene by scene

This experience is a really fun. I really enjoyed being the codirector of this  “film” (I would say Colton was the main Director. He had the most solid vision out of all of us) It was amazing to see all our filming skills come in to play. We considered all the angles we wanted and the execution was perfect down to the last detail; what lines were said (quoted off the direct play), what chess pieces was/goes where, costume consistency, all that jazz. Once the film was; fully filmed, Sound checked, audio added, filter added and fully edited you could tell  we’ve all been in PLP for a while.

Shout out to Colton for doing all the editing and having an amazing Gimble, that really helped us out!

This project was definitely one of my favorites, I didn’t really enjoy the reading but I’m glad that I can now say that I’ve read Romeo and Juliet. I feel more educated. I really enjoyed that  the creation of our own adaptations was the final product.

the class after we submitted them when we watched all of everyone’s little snippets was really fun and I enjoyed seeing everyone’s seeing all the different genres presented. It’s really cool to see how people interpret the same thing so differently. Go check a few! ⬇️

Xander, Cale, Ava, Gwen

Alicia, Makenna,Fraser, Max

Theryn, Sylas,Declan, Nolan, Dana

ines, Brooke, Landon, ben

well that’s concludes this project

(thats a new line)

hannah 🍫🫕🍟🌶🥩🍎