Another self help book ⁉️

Hello and welcome back another addition to the blog post tornado 🌪️ that is happening right now.

We just recently wrapped up the book “ Atomic Habits” by James Clear

this guy is James clear, the author

Boy did it take me a while…

In total it took me at least 3 months to finish “Atomic Habits”, I have noticed that I am a very slow reader. My sister on the other hand could’ve easily finish “Atomic habits” in 3 days no problem. I think the fact that the book was in fact an assignment and it was not a voluntary read makes it harder to me to find the motivation to finish.

And one other factor I think it took me so long to finish is the fact that I was constantly taking notes, adding thought, highlighting and comparing this book to our previous self help book the 7 habits of an highly effective people. (Check out my thoughts on that one here!)

Check out my craft document here to see my thoughts on the book. ⬇️

notes on “Atomic Habits”

This book has taught me a lot.

Overall I don’t think the “self help” book genre is the one for me. All though I put myself though the whole book i feel like i needed to get at least one thing out of it right? Well, you’d be delighted to hear that there are a few things I find that I try to implement in my day to day life.

• I find I now make a more conscious effort of be more prepared for the morning to come, that afternoon. (Just like what Dana found works for her) I make sure if I have a  Basketball practice or a soccer game after school the next day I get my shoes/cleats ready and put out my uniform and water bottle so I don’t forget the next morning or end up franticly running around in hopes to not be late
  • I also really enjoy incorporating the second law “make your goal attractive” in my daily routines. I really try to make my goals give me a sense of excitement. Although I find it can sometimes be challenging making something like a blogpost or cleaning my room exciting, I make things like those exciting by thinking about what fun things I can do once the task is done.

A though there were a couple of good and valuable learning opportunities presented throughout this book, it was generally just way to long and I found by the end of each long chapter my mind was just flipping through pages and no longer grasping the information being present in front of me. There was a lot of information I found that was almost repeated.

think book could’ve easily been half as long.

Regardless, while we were completing atomic habits, we were busy at work doing our “positive brain training”. This has to be my favourite part of the project.

It was actually really fun, I found Peace in finding a routine and knowing each day I would walk into class an know we were doing some form of mediation or writing a journal entry. I know I could still continue this routine privately (now that that project is over and we  no longer do it in class time) but I just do have time and doing it in class would be disruptive to some extant but I do excise everyday through basketball games/practices and baseball games/practices and when I find myself overthinking about school, a friendship/relationship or something I will sometimes write down my thoughts and/or feelings just to get them out of my head, and although I still find it hard to do conscious acts of kindness I find i do some subconsciously, like ill compliment someone’s shirt if I like it without thinking and ill help an old lady off the bus or give someone directors or walk them to class.

If you choose to check out some of my reflections. I wrote them all in craft:

Positive brain training HQ 

In conclusion, I am sick of self help books.

So I decided to make my own of course.

please go check it out. I used My own self help book ‘This Better Be A Last Resort” as an opportunity to show that I know what makes a good self help book.(examples, media, text, personal connection etc.)

anyways that wraps it up. I hope to try more to continue to implement some of the ‘atomic habits’ into my life

Hannah 🥔🍞🥥🥯🍗🥠