One of the big things we’ve been learning about in science is chemistry. More specifically, different types of chemical bonds and what the reaction is when the two meet.

The two two types of bonding we learned about was covalent bonding and ionic bonding. In ionic bonding one atom gives away electrons to a different atom that needs them. Every atom has multiple energy shells and they all want their outer shell to have 8 electrons on it. So if one atom has 6 electrons on the outer shell they will want to ionically bind with an atom that has 2 electrons on their outer shell. The two will bond and then they will both be happy because they will have 8 electrons on the outer shell. This scenario works with oxygen and calcium. Calcium wants to give two electrons away, oxygen wants to get two electrons.

The other type of bonding is covalent bonding. When two or more atoms want to complete their outer valence shells but they don’t want to give their’s away they share. They bond in a way that allows each atom to get an equal amount of electrons. They are shared with each other.

I really loved learning about this and had a lot of fun. In fact when we played a Kahoot in class about how to name the different compounds I won and had a 19/20 answer streak. I hope you learned a thing or two in this blog, because I certainly learned a lot in this unit.