Thrill Us: A Journey Through A Basketball 🏀

Why do people make thrillers? To add suspense, make us uneasy? Is it to scare us? To give us a gateway into another world? Well, in the case of teachers, its a task given to kids to make them understand film for themselves. And in my opinion, it’s difficult as heck. For this whole semester we’ve been studying the ways of filming. The different angles, specific lighting, characters, editing, the whole shabang. So after we finished our previous project, filming a remake, it was time to make a film on our own. 

We started by watching a collection of short thrillers to give us inspiration. Each film provided us with a different perspective on how to create suspense and keep the audience on the edge of their seats. We analyzed the various techniques used, such as suspenseful music, unexpected plot twists, and well-developed characters. We also studied the three C’s, (contract, clock & crucible), which helped us dig deeper into the world of media. And after breaking down the short thrillers and learning about the key elements that make a good thriller, we divided into groups to start planning our own film.

My group consisted of basketball players, including me, and it seemed only fitting that we incorporated our shared passion into our film. We decided it would start with 2 friends playing basketball, one makes a bad shot and sends the other friend on a wild journey to get it, and ends with a really dramatic and confusing twist. So once we had our plot, planned the shots we needed, and developed the characters, it was time to film. We were given 4 days to film and edit, Monday through Thursday, and it had to be submitted on Friday to watch, so we split the shots we needed into 3 days, leaving the last day for editing. 

Unfortunately, on Monday I was sick, but since I’m only in 1 shot, my group was able to film the designated shots without me. They started with the beginning, and worked their way down to 1/3 of it finished, which was perfect for the day. We were all determined to make the most out of the remaining days. On Tuesday, we gathered again to film the rest of the shots. Despite the setback of my absence on the first day, we managed to capture everything we needed. There were a few retakes here and there to ensure perfection, but overall, the filming process went smoothly.

With all the footage in the bag, we eagerly moved on to the next phase – editing. Wednesday was dedicated to transforming our raw footage into a thrilling film. We added special effects to intensify the suspense and make certain scenes look distorted. Dramatic music was carefully selected to enhance the overall atmosphere of the film. Applying filters in specific parts added an extra layer of intrigue to the visuals. One aspect that pleasantly surprised us was the sound quality of the running scenes. It was captured perfectly on set, so there was no need for reshoots or additional audio recording. This saved us a lot of time and allowed us to focus more on other editing details.

By Thursday, we were entering the final stages of editing. We added some finishing touches to ensure a seamless flow between shots and to fine-tune the overall pacing. It was a process of trial and error, making sure every scene was as captivating as possible. We meticulously scrutinized each frame, aiming for perfection. Finally, on Friday, we proudly handed in our finished product. The sense of accomplishment was overwhelming. We were thrilled to have created something unique and captivating, a film that truly immersed the audience in its suspenseful narrative. We couldn’t wait to see the reactions of our classmates and teachers. And to our surprise, we ended up having a film competition, and ended in a tie for 2nd place. 

Reflecting on the journey we took to create this thriller, I realize how much I’ve learned about the complexities of filmmaking. The process of planning, filming, and editing taught me valuable lessons about storytelling and the power of visual media. I now have a deeper appreciation for the art of crafting suspense and captivating an audience. And in the end, our group successfully completed our task of creating a thrilling film. We overcame obstacles, honed our skills, and embraced the challenge with enthusiasm. It was an experience that will forever be etched in our memories, reminding me of the incredible power of film has, and I will always be thankful that I got to experience a bit of the magic. 

What Happens In Loon Lake, Stay’s In Loon Lake 🏔️🌨️🌲

PLP 9 just got back from the Loon Lake Learning Advance, and it’s safe to say that this field study has been my favourite out of them all. We spent a week away in the forest of Maple Ridge practicing our collaboration and learning to trust our peers as well as ourselves. Pinicale Pursuits, the program that had us, and Johno, the leader who was with us through most of the trip, made the environment of the trip more welcoming and comfortable. 

Tuesday, my group, the otters, went rock climbing and were pushed out of our comfort zones. It was exciting to challenge ourselves physically and mentally and we saw how determined and resilient our peers were. We learned about planning our next steps and strategizing to overcome obstacles. In the afternoon, we had group discussions with Johno, where we appreciated the unique strengths and qualities of our group members. It was heartwarming to see the support and encouragement within our group.

On Wednesday, we started the day by participating in a challenging low ropes course. It required teamwork and trust as we navigated through the ropes and obstacles, supporting and encouraging each other. After that, we split into smaller groups for a thrilling scavenger hunt, using maps and compasses to find hidden challenges in the forest. It tested our critical thinking and creativity. We then had a meaningful discussion about our individuality and created posters to showcase our unique qualities. Sharing and affirming each other’s posters brought a touching moment of love, support, and genuine connections. Then to end the day, we gathered in the gym and did a few more bonding activities, bringing us closer as a class.

Thursday was full to the brim with events, and after breakfast, we started on the first one. Our animal groups were given colours, then split into 3 smaller groups to compete in a variety of challenges. This activity as a whole tested out time management, teamwork and attention to detail, as we raced for 1st place. My team ended last, but that didn’t stop us from learning and enjoying it while it lasted. Afterwards, we were put into 3 groups, and lead through 3 different activities. We did the high ropes that made us get out of our comfort zone, shelter building to help our skills of survival, and lastly trust falls, where we had to fully trust ourselves and others.

By the time Friday rolled around, we were getting ready to welcome our parents like Pinnacle Pursuits welcomed us. We gathered in our fruit groups one last time, as we discussed the 5 key things we learned over the week and put them in categories. Clear communication, social awareness, leadership, internal talk and emotional intelligence was what we decided. My group got leadership, so we wrote a script, made a poster and soon enough our parents arrived. Throughout the gathering, we presented our ideas and thoughts surrounding leadership to different people, and at the end shared goals we planed to take home with us. My goal is to think before I feel. I’m someone who would react before actually proceeding the information in a logical way, so that’s something I’m trying to bring back to Seycove.

In conclusion, Loon Lake was a transformative experience for me. The program and Johno created a welcoming and comfortable environment for us to learn and grow. We did activities like rock climbing, low ropes courses, scavenger hunts, and team challenges, which pushed us out of our comfort zones and helped us develop trust and teamwork skills. The discussions and reflections throughout the week fostered genuine connections and support within our group. We shared our learnings and goals with our parents and I want to work on improving my leadership skills. Overall, this field study was an unforgettable experience that taught us valuable life lessons and strengthened our community bonds that we will never forget.