What a DI-Saster

Guess what? I’m back! After a short 2-3 month break, I’m back with what might be my biggest post yet. In this post, I will be documenting the horror that is known as Destination Imagination (DI). So, without further ado, wait, I want to clear something up. Despite the negative representation that you might assume from reading this first paragraph and title, just know that I mean these things in a kind, supportive, constructive criticism-esque way.

So, I’ll start by explaining what the actual hel.. heck DI is. Destination Imagination is a contest in which teams of 3-7 children and youth compete various challenges. There are 5 main types of challenges. Technical, Engineering, Scientific, Fine Arts, And Improvisation. In our class, they sent us google forms for what kinds of challenges we wanted to do and I was put into the scientific challenge. Here are some brief summaries of the various challenges available this year. Also, I’ve embedded some DI YouTube videos in this post, so feel free to watch those as well.

Technical: Maze Craze: Teams will create a small RC vehicle capable of entering a randomly selected maze and retrieving an item. They will then create a story for the traveller and act it out while operating the traveller.

Engineering: Drop Zone: Teams will create a freestanding (capable of standing by itself) structure made of cork, wood, and glue. It will be tested with many weights and the team will also have to create a story based around the structure and the dropping of weights.

Scientific (The best one, obviously): Unlikely Attraction: Teams will create an amusement park attraction and a story about the attraction operating in an unlikely location. The location must be someplace attractions would not commonly be found.

Fine Arts: Change Of Tune: Teams must create and rehearse a full musical comprising of song, dance, and an unforgettable event called the spectacle. My guess is that the spectacle should probably be a good surprise and child appropriate, so….

Improv: TREASURE: Ok, so the reason I typed treasure in all caps is because the kids in the video seemed really excited for this one, and I mean REALLY. Anyways, Teams in this challenge will have to research many historical explorers and cultural treasures in order to be prepared, because on the day of the performance, they will be randomly given 2 explorers and a cultural treasure to create an improv show with. They will also receive a randomly picked setback that they will have to work into their play. Also, all they get in terms of props is a white sheet, so some real spooky ghost opportunities there, just sayin’.

Also, every team must do an instant challenge, in which teams are randomly given a challenge and they must think up a solution on the spot.

Now onto our Story. First, we were put into teams. I was grouped up with Fraser, Luciano, and Kyle. We then brainstormed some ideas for what we were going to do. We decided on our attraction being located on Phobos, a moon of mars. The idea was for the ride to curse people that rode it because Phobos is the Greek god of fear. Our initial main ride idea was for this big, weird, mechanical bull spring toy UFO thingy that would just make me look like an idiot if I tried to explain it. I’m not an idiot, right? Right? Come on, someone back me up here! Anyways… we hit a huge speed bump midway through planning. Amazon unfortunately does not sell large springs like you see under every cartoon vehicle’s seat. This is another instance of cartoons blatantly lying To is as kids, right in front of our little gullible faces. After, that whole ordeal, Fraser came up with the idea of making a rocking horse type contraction and making it look like a UFO. Also, we came up with possibly the greatest team name of all time, The Space Cows.

About 2/3 of the way through, we started construction. And boy, did it take a long time. At first, we had to do the measuring, which was maybe 40-45 minutes of absolute, pure, 100% concentrated agony. Then we did something fun. Cutting things with power tools. Unfortunately, nobody trusts me around power tools, and with good reason, so I pretty much acted like a human paperweight.

After that, we all met up again to finish screwing it together and again, I still cannot be trusted with power tools. After that, the other members went and put some cardboard all over it to give it a rounded shape. Finally, we met up for the final time and put silver duct tape all over it to make it look pretty. Here is a timeline compilation to the tune of the Rasta Man himself, Bob Marley.

https://youtu.be/xC2yTbtVRMI

After all of the hardship, the pain, and all the moments that would have made the average man give up, we persevered thr- you know what, I can’t keep this up for much longer. It wasn’t that bad. Anyways, t’was DI Day. Although emotions were swirling that day, we had one common thought. No one wants to go to school on Saturday. Also, I WILL CRUSH ANY OTHER TEAM THAT TRIES TO TAKE US ON UNTIL THEY ARE NOTHING BUT A LOSING PILE OF DUST! *clears throat* Sorry about that. That was my suppressed rage talking. We all had 1 common goal: To take that W. And (spoiler alert), that’s exactly what we did. That’s right, we WON! I’d like to think my- wait, what? There’s still provincials? Regionals was just a warm up? Wow. Way to crush my happiness, inner me. Anyways, it was pretty nerve-wracking, having to go 2 hours after the opening ceremony. Also, I just was to say, Regionals were chaotic. Feelings were flying, and so were some of the props after the people with the flying feelings got to them. We really had to rush the paint jobs and I think we still did a good job.

That’s Kyle, by the way. I’d link his blog again but I’m too lazy. The link is somewhere up there. If you look hard enough. After the preparation, we were put through an intense line of questioning such as: “do you have any fireworks” and “are you carrying any fire extinguishers”. Not long after that, it was showtime. We put on a great, Oscar worthy performance, even though critics say my back was turned for 1 minute. Anyways, we brought the gold back to Seycove and now we’re ready. Provincials, here come the Space Cows!

Truly Yours,                                                                                                                                                                                      Guan Jason

Up getting currently his words mixed