Seeing Around Corners

Hello there, Welcome back to my blog. This project is gonna be a bit of a crazy one so buckle in. This project was all over the place and crazy confusing but we managed and my group created something I’m quite proud of. My group for the project was the amazing Ryder and Randy. They were awesome team members and were there every step of the way. I truly couldn’t have asked for a better group. 

Our driving question with this project was “Why are some people able to see around corners in ways others are not, and by doing, shape how we see ourselves in this changing world?” This question is very long just like the project but is actually a really interesting and thought-provoking question. Our product was a docu-series about a topic that we were given. Our group was Cultural Mosaic. So we had to make a docu-series episode about the cultural mosaic of the West Coast (Vancouver and L.A) and how these people were looking ahead or seeing around corners. It sounds complicated but it really isn’t. 

My main contributions to my group were editing the final cut, helping Randy Interview a famous local chef, and creating the storyboard while helping with the animatic. Let’s start with the storyboard, shall we? A storyboard in this case was kind of a layout of our angles and shots. This wasn’t challenging but transforming it into an animatic was harder. This took a good amount of editing and teamwork. However, I think we did a great job with our storyboard and animatic. Are storyboard was clear and concise with good recreations of our shots and are animatic was concise well paced and really laid out the dialogue of the docu-series episode. Moving on to the interview, Randy and I interviewed Chef Tojo. Owner and face of Tojos Sushi here in Vancouver. He was the person thought to have created the California Roll. He was very nice and was more than happy to share with us how he came up with the idea of the California Roll back in the 80s. It was at a really unlucky time but Randy and I powered through and got it done. Tojo was a super interesting man to talk to and I’m really glad I got the opportunity to speak with him. Last but not least we have the final editing cut of our video. I’m pretty happy with the video and am proud of my editing skills as this is my first big editing project. I think the final video came out great and my team thinks so as well. Here is the final cut for everyone to enjoy.

My answer to the driving question is the skill of looking around corners is definitely a special skill. Not a lot of people can do this, however people who are able to can create and influence the world in incredible ways. Take Walt Disney for example, his endless hope for imagination and wonder was the factor that created Disneyland. A land of wonder and dreams, perfect for the world to escape reality. Or as Walt Disney once said, “This is reality, this is what reality should be”. Walt Disney saw a world that no one else could, a world of dreams and imagination. He is the perfect example of someone who looked ahead and in turn, completely changed the way we people see each other and ourselves. A lot of the confidence we have in ourselves came from Walt Disney’s animations. We need a sort of mystical dream as people to chase. Since Los Angeles is the city of dreams, there couldn’t have been a better place for Walt Disney to introduce his new mystical stories to entertain us. We grew up with those stories and characters. They shaped us into the people we are today and inspired us to look around corners and chase our dreams. Walt Disney really impacted the world with his stories and dreams and there are so many other people who have done the same. 

From Disneyparks.com

I thank you all for reading this entry into my blog but this is the end. Thank you and have a lovely rest of your day.