My Role Models

Who are 5 people you look up to or who are your role models? A difficult question but one we had to answer in one of our newest PLP assignments. This project had quite a few different aspects to it, we had our writing component where we had to write a paragraph on each of our 5 role models and including photos of them. Not just any photo though, we had to photoshop all of our role models into one photo of them at ‘our table’, not our actual tables sadly, just figurative tables. You have no idea how much I would love to have all of these people over for dinner though.

Mo’ne Davis

Mo’ne Ikea Davis, born June 24, 2001, is an American former Little League Baseball pitcher from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was one of two girls who played in the 2014 Little League World Series and was the first girl to earn a win and to pitch a shutout in Little League World Series history. She was the 18th girl overall to play, the sixth to get a hit, and the first African-American girl to play in the Little League World Series. She was also the first Little League baseball player to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated as a Little League player. She was only twelve when all of this happened, of course I admire her for that but even though she’s only a year older than I am, she’s still appearing in magazines and talk shows to talk about women in sports and how far we’ve come even since she’s played but what we still need to accomplish. She’s only fifteen and already has such a strong voice and influence, in not just women’s acceptance into the sports community but as well as women’s rights.

Marshall Mathers

Marshall Bruce Mathers III or better and professionally known as Eminem, is one of the best selling artists of all time but he was not always who he is today. He started off in a working class neighbourhood in Detroit where he attended open mic sessions with his friend known as “Manix” at the age of fourteen. It was only two years before that had he heard his first rap song and he instantly knew he was interested. Knowing what he wanted to do so early and pursuing it as a career given his circumstances and being so confident in himself and his music. He continued to perform no matter what he was called or how much he got made fun of, he continued to pursue music simply because he enjoyed doing it. Music is his passion and is something that makes him happy so no matter what anyone told him he stuck with it, this is something I find very inspirational and is the way I would like to live.

Jack Roosevelt Robinson

Jack “Jackie” Robinson is one of the most famous baseball players of all time. He broke the baseball colour line in Major League Baseball when the Brooklyn Dodgers started him at first base on April 15, 1947. The Dodgers, by signing Jackie, started the end of racial segregation in professional baseball that relegated black players to the Negro leagues since the 1880’s. Not only was he a fantastic ball player but as well as an excellent person who stuck with the sport no matter how hard he was criticized, no matter what managers yelled at him, heckled him. Even when his entire team signed a petition to have him kicked off the team, he still pursued his baseball career with the Dodgers. He always stuck with what he believed was right, even when others thought it was wrong. I think he has made the biggest impact in MLB history and not just in baseball but in equal rights as well. One of the things his legacy has taught me is you don’t have to look the part to play the part, just do what you believe in and what you enjoy doing.

Jim Carrey

This inspiration may be a little odd but Jim Carrey has definitely taught me to never give up. When Carrey was 14 years old, his father lost his job, and his family hit rough times. They moved into a VW van on a relative’s lawn, and the young aspiring comedian—who was so dedicated to his craft that he mailed his resume to The Carroll Burnett Show just a few years earlier, at age 10—took an eight-hours-per-day factory job after school to help make ends meet. At age 15, Carrey performed his comedy routine onstage for the first time—in a suit his mom made him—and totally bombed, but he was undeterred. The fact he’d decided exactly what he wanted to do with his life at such a young age and doing what needed to be done is something that people should find inspirational because it’s something that very few people have done and been successful. The next year, at 16, he quit school to focus on comedy full time. He moved to LA shortly after, where he would park on Mulholland Drive every night and visualize his success. One of these nights he wrote himself a check for $10,000,000 for “Acting Services Rendered,” which he dated for Thanksgiving 1995. Just before that date, he hit his payday with Dumb and Dumber. He put the deteriorated check, which he’d kept in his wallet the whole time, in his father’s casket. He was so confident in himself and knew exactly what he wanted to do with his life and took whatever action needed to be taken in order for his dream to happen, something barely anyone can even imagine doing, and him being so dedicated is something I find inspirational.

(Sorry, I had to)

Chancelor Bennett

Chancelor Bennet, or better known nowadays as Chance the Rapper, is one of the most popular music artists and songwriters of our time. He’s appeared on many songs with many well known artists such as Childish Gambino and KYLE but were he’s had his most success is his own streaming only albums. He had released a mixtape before 2013 was wasn’t very well recognized until he released Acid Rap which was praised by music critics and fans alike. His most successful album however has been Colouring Book which was released in May 2016. This album was nominated for many Grammy awards including Best Album of the Year, being the first streaming only album to ever have been nominated and won a Grammy award. Since all of is music is streaming only, he produces all of his own songs and doesn’t make any money off of his own music, he does it purely because he enjoys creating the music for his family and himself. He works hard at what he does simply because his family enjoys the music and because it’s a way of of self expression for Chance and he loves making the music, he does it for himself, not the money.

The final piece do this project as I said earlier was the visual of all them including myself at a ‘table’. However, since 2 of my role models are some of the best baseball players of their time, I went with a more Kate approach…

Written by:

Be First to Comment