D.I. Provincials 2017

Destination Imgaination has finally come to a close, for 2017 anyways. A great story has come out of it though, oh yeah, and we did learn a few things along the way. Let’s get to the tournament itself, then I’ll talk about what we’ve learned headed to provincials, if you want to read about the main preparation stages and regionals you can:

D.I. Regionals

That’s all about regionals, now time for provincials. It was almost the exact same as a regionals, except our skits went way better. We only placed fourth though. But then again that’s out of nine teams of mostly grande 11’s so I’m pretty proud of my group. This where my good story ones in. I went to the tournament, waited all day for our group to present, then out of no where, around noon, my rib decides to try and escape. I had a rib out of place for about three and a half hours until I was able to pop it back in by breathing deeply and allowing my ling expansion push it into place. I couldn’t stand very well without going into shock from pain and tearing up so sadly I could’ve perform. I was super disappointed because my group had worked so hard to prepare for provincials and I really wanted to perform, especially with the prompts we got. One with my stock character, volunteer. However my group came together, understood my situation and pushed though it and all of our practice paid off. My group was much better at communicating with one another to get the storyline down and props ready in about a minute, giving us two minutes to perform. Plenty of time in improv if you ask me. 

As for things I discussed in the first blog post on what we needed to improv(e) upon, (see what I did there?) I think we did everything we needed to. We commmunicated well, managed time efficiently and the improv itself came through quite a bit. This I think was mostly improved upon at the tournament itself, sure we can practice for hours and learn to count three minutes in our heads but it’s not the same as actually going and performing in front of appraisers and people you don’t know. Something we’d already dealt with at regionals. We were used to the environment and the practice helped for sure but there’s only so much practice can do, especially in improv where everything can be switched up on you in a matter of seconds and every situation is different than the last. Thankfully no one said anything super dramatic to change the situation up on everyone else.

Written by:

Be First to Comment