Questions, questions, WHY SO MANY QUESTIONS?

Hello.
Welcome.

FIRST BLOG POST OF THE YEAR WOOOOOO!

Whelp now that weโ€™ve got energy out, it is time to talk about our first humanities project of the grade 10 year. AkA, this is us. ย I must say at the start of this project I was quite confused. We were told that we were going to be creating a human library, and that really confused me.

After that very confusing explanation we had to answer the question โ€œwhy does it matter to think about who we are as Canadians?โ€

This was my answer, and I was quite proud of it.

After that, we proceeded to have a very long conversation about women. The whole point was to ask questions, ย it I think some people were happy just to ask questions about women that they had been wanting to ask. We then moved to making our own driving questions. This was a necessary step because for the next part of this project we needed to become an expert in some area of Canadian identity.

My topic of choice was trans Canadians, and my driving question was

โ€œWhat laws are in place for the protection of trans people and what can we do to improve their rights as Canadians?

this was a topic I could relate to as a non-binary Canadian who is still in the Canadian education system. We had to create need to knows, and there are my top four that I created.

if you would like to see my full answers to these questions, here is a link to the full document.

While becoming experts on our topic, we also had to do quite a bit of learning about the charter of rights and how it had positively impacted the lives of Canadians. We made elevator pitches about our topics, and had to present them to eachother, and have a mini q&a session about our chosen topics in different groups.

and finally, after all of that, it was time for the final human library. And by now you still may be asking โ€œAlex, what the heck is a human library?โ€ Well my friend, Iโ€™m not sure you have come to the right place. The best way I can explain it is that it is a place for people to have open and honest conversations, where they can learn about someone who has had a different walk of like than others. It is a judgment free zone, where people can be curious. If you want to learn more, the human library website can be found here.

I must say, I think ours was very successful, and here are some photos from our human library!

Thank you for reading and ADIOS

-ALEX ๐Ÿ™‚