2016…

Last year was a very interesting time, full of many terrible events and strange occurrences. In class today we watched a video made by Google that compiled all of the trending topics of 2016 using the data of Google Trends.

I was supposed to analyze google’s video, and to reflect upon this past year, including all of the moments… the good, the bad, and the sad. Some of the topics shown in the video I didn’t know of such as The SpaceX program, and The pride parade.

The pride parade
The pride parade

There were many tragedies this year and I felt that google did a good job at balencing the ugly with some inspirational music, speeches, comments, or poems to show that there is a light side to all of the terrible tradgedies of this year. It was interesting to see all of topics that were searched compiled into a short year in review video. Next I was to go to the site Google trends and explore some of the most searched items in Canada and around the world. Many of the trending searches I didn’t even realize were popular. The one that I found most surprising was the fact that the third most searched “what is” question is “What is harambe “.

Harambe
Harambe

It is quite interesting to see the crazy topics people search. Perhaps not the most surprising is the trending topic of the Donald J Trump campaign. It was the most searched news story of the year. It is interesting that this was an American news story but is still the most Popular news topic in Canada.

NCAA Basketaball 2016 champions
NCAA Basketaball 2016 champions

If I created a year end video like google did I would avoid the subliminal advertising that was planted in the video. My video would include plenty of sports, I think if there was more emphasis put on the Olympics and other sporting events like the Cubs World Series, it would be more appealing to me and other sports lovers out there like me. Overall, I think that this year in review was a good depiction of the major events that happened to take place worldwide in 2016.

img_1138