Algebra Games

In this months algebra unit, we were learning all about algebra.

Algebra is a defining mathematical concept.

The Project

The project goal was to create a game that showed the visual representation of algebra called algebra tiles. The game would have to be fun and also educational. My partner Luca and I created a youtube style review of our game that highlighted all key concepts of the game.

Video link 

The Learning

Through the unit, we learned the many different ways to factor, expand, and solve many different equations and expressions. Throughout the study, I learned a lot about circular competences and I would like to highlight some that I found that I particularly thought about.

Develop thinking strategies to solve mathematical problems and puzzles.

I was tasked with many different methods of solving problems such as using algebra tiles and more familiar strategies I learned from other math courses. I struggled with using algebra tiles and eventually, I found the traditional methods that work best for me when factoring.

Expand ideas and use mathematical concepts to solve problems

Understanding key mathematical concepts were key to the creation of my game because it allowed me to stay within creative constraints

I needed to be able to understand how the strategies that I am using to factor in math question relate to the game I was creating. It was kea y component of the game I created. I was able to include an ability to use all different mathematical strategies in the game to force any player to understand the math completely

Reflect on mathematical thinking

A mind map was an example of reflecting on some of the concepts I learned

After every unit, I reflect on the concepts I learned during the unit. I ended up learning not learning a large number of different concepts but rather I was given an opportunity to explore ones I learned in other courses. I was to test and practice the times to apply the different concepts in the game and in the math practice.

A great unit for the growth as learning especially in the field of math!