Filming Greatness

Watching a sport live (like the world series) is a powerful experience. We take for granted the amazing camera work and live coverage that it provides

After perfecting our abilities on recreating something it was time to progress. Our next task was to…

Follow and film a live event of our own!

We needed to use the many tools provided by our editing software iMovie. Some of tools we had to incorporate into our films were time lapse, slow motion, audio overlay and most importantly the usage of still images in a film. I choose to film a friendly golf competition that he and I participate in every year.

We filmed a number of the shots we took during the round and made sure to get every big turning point shot in the match. After compiling the clips together I created draft 1

There are so many areas for improvement after draft 1 I don’t even know where to begin. For starters, the music is awful, the action is unfollowable, and the audio is inconsistent. In terms of positives I was happy with the shots as well as my use of the scoreboard. Using the learning from draft 1 I cultivated draft 2. With better music, more of a focus on the great shots as well as cleaning up the audio and adding voice overs to guide the casual viewer

The final product is something I am very proud of. It’s a great representation of the match my friend and I played and follows the action to a point where people should understand what’s going on.

This live event is undoubtedly different from the recreation video’s for a number of reasons. For one, there are no retakes and every shot has to be meticulously planned and executed. The other major difference I found was the different styles of editing when given creative freedom. Instead of replicating someone else’s style when I was given creative freedom my style was very different and my opinion made the videos of very high quality.