Changing the world no matter what they say

Change and innovation has been a huge part of humanity for the past couple thousand years. That change has changed us from cave dwellers to city builders. Not to say that that change and innovation has not been contested and hated throughout the Ages. People are both driven to change the world and to stop change and keep it the way it is. This inbalence created many moments of tension and caused many problems. For this unit I was trying to answer this question “How do change and advancements cause tension?”.

The learning

To begin this unit we learned about the history of the Middle Ages to the renaissance. I learned a lot about how closed off society was in the Middle Ages.

The Mona Lisa showed the revolution that took place in the renaissance

I also learned quite a bit about the movers and revolutionary people that jumpstarted the transition from static knowledge to growing knowledge. In the renaissance people began to Advance the studies and improve the lives of many people through revolution and invention. This culture of invention and advancement lead to many great change in the world, but with that change came just as much tension. Many of the powerful people in the renaissance wanted to hold onto there power and avoided and tried to stop any change. This fear of change led others to fear the same things, and the perpetual cycle made innovation as hard as it ever had been.

Some work that completed

However there were enough people you made change that innovation was never halted and was always changing the lives of many. As we concluded our learning about the innovation and the people that wanted to keep knowledge the way it was in the Middle Ages, it was time to put all of the learning into a project

The notebook

Now that I was an expert on the great innovations and people that had changed the world it was time to focus my research and put it into a presentable manner. The goal of this project was to do 4 things
1. Choose a inquiry question that is under your topic (for my group it was medicine)
My group and I wanted to make sure that we kept our focus on epidemics and outbreaks instead of focusing on doctors, procedures, and day to day doctors duties. We brainstormed an idea for a question that we could work over the course of the next few weeks to answer. After many thrown out ideas we eventually chose “how have epedimics and outbreaks influenced advancements?”
2. Research your topic and specify what time frame you will be focusing on (personally)
After discussions with my group it was decided that I would reasearch the Industrial Age. I studied the history of both medical advancements and epidemics in the Industrial Age. There were many resources online but I mainly used a online textbook that dwelled deep enough into the influential people, the innovation and the common epidemics. I learned enough info it was time to to start putting my reasearch on a presentable media.
3. Create pages of notebooks that demonstrate your learning or research
This is when the group needed to come together and create a unified notebook that covered each time frame beginning with the Middle Ages all the way to modern age. First you needed to compete your own pages that show your learning. I completed my page using visuals and animations to make the read for the reader much easier. I had a page that described the influential people of medicine in the Industrial Age, and 2 pages were on some common outbreaks in the time frame. Then the real challenge began with formatting the notebook and making it look like it is all one book rather than 4 books put into one. It took my group a very long time to make it all look like one but still to have our own personal touches on it. Eventually we finished our first draft of our notebook and we were prepared for some feedback and ready to revise if necessary.
4. Get feedback from peers and teachers followed be revising the book so it is our best work
We were prepared to get feedback and were awaiting its arrival but it came in quite some numbers and seemed quite overwhelming.

However, we got right back to work and made as many changes as necessary to make the notebook our best work. For example we made the whole book that same colour scheme instead of different themes for different time frames as it made the book look much more uniform and unified. In the end with all of the changes we made I was happy with the way the book turned out. I couldn’t have expected it to turn out better than it did and I am very proud of its content and formatting.
Insert keynote.

The sales pitch

Now that I covered the history of medicine it was time to look ot the future of medicine. The goal of this stage in the unit was create a sales pitch of a future product to a company of the present. The group’s were still the same as the notebook, but the focus on this project was on the presenting piece rather than the reasearch piece. After some brainstorming we chose to write a sales pitch to the medical company Merck. However, it was more difficult to choose what product we would be pitching. After some time of deciding we chose to pitch automated doctors (robotic doctors). After a little reasearch into the current state of automated doctors, we began to create our presentation. My group split up the work so half of us worked on the script and the other half on the keynote. We made sure we worked in communication to make sure that the keynote and the script were in sync. After some time to create and practice our presentation it was time to present what we had and get feedback from both the audience and the teachers so we could improve it for next time. We took this feedback and used it for our next dress rehearsal. After we had improved it from last time the feedback became much more refined, percise and specific. We made the adjustments and we are ready to do our final presentation soon, and I am excited to showcase how far our presentation has come.