Ooooooooh Canada!

What does being Canadian mean to me? It means a lot of things. For some people it could be the diversity or for other people it could be freedom. It really depends from person to person. When we where shown in class what it means to some people they all had different answers.
Because there are so many interesting answers to this question a group of people decided to start a contest called here’s my Canada. To enter in this contest you have to create a 30 second or less video about what Canada means to you in a interesting or creative way. The competition is very open about what one can make a video on. If someone wanted to they could create a video on how they enjoyed Canada’s lakes or about Tim Hortons coffee or anything. Our teachers found out about this contest and decided to sign us up for it. As I am writing about I obviously made a video for the competition.

Here it is:

At first I couldn’t decide what I wanted to make my video on. I thought about doing it on Canadian culture but it was hard to define Canada as one culture. I than thought about doing it on Canada’s diversity but I realized quickly that I definitely didn’t have a large amount of knowledge on that. I was stumped and I couldn’t think. As I looked out the window I realized I could do my video on what cover 42 percent of Canada’s land mass, nature! This subject was definitely a good one. This is because I know lots about this one and it is extremely abundant in Canada.

At first I decided I was going to film my video up Mount Seymour, snowboarding. I went up and filmed a good clip and I was ready to edit and use it. When I came down to edit it I found out that the sound quality was terrible, this was because of the wind and people on the hill shouting. I than thought I would film it at my house and realized that would be better because I could do as many takes as I needed and I could edit it right when I filmed it. I could also do the lighting and control the nearby sound levels more than I could up the mountain. I did several takes and all the editing I needed to do and then I was happy with my finished product. Unfortunately I had to take out some of my footage as it would be over the 30 second time limit otherwise.
Overall I feel that this project was very fun. I also think this project was great because it made us realize how lucky we are to live in such a nice country and also to live in such a nice part of it too. I think it was great how I can really take pride in being Canadian now to as I am much more knowledgable on the general subject of Canada. Thank for taking the time to read this blog post and I hope you enjoyed it!