Bull Leslie Frank

The Second World War was a war fought from 1939 to 1945 in Europe and, during much of the 1930s and 1940s, in Asia. The war in Europe began in earnest on September 1, 1939 with the invasion of Poland by Nazi Germany, and concluded on September 2, 1945, with the official surrender of Japan. However, in Asia the war began earlier with Japanese interventions in China, and in Europe, the war ended earlier with the unconditional surrender of Germany on May 8, 1945. It was the largest armed conflict in history, spanning the entire world and involving more countries than any other war, as well as introducing powerful new weapons, culminating in the first use of nuclear weapons.

Our class was once again assigned to create a journal entry from the point of view of a Canadian soldier, but this time we were focusing on the soldiers who fought in the Second World War. Using Canada’s online database of soldiers, we had to find one soldier and write a journal entry from any point in time during the war using information gathered from the website. I decided to search for a soldier who had enlisted for the war in Vancouver B.C., which is where I live. After looking through a few soldiers, I found Bull Leslie Frank who was a soldier part of the Royal Winnipeg Rifflemen unit. Bull died while in combat in Holland, and I decided to write his journal entry moments before the death. There was an abundance of information on Bull available on the website, which clearly painted a picture of his life before and during the war.

Using this information I put together a journal entry form his point of view, moments before death. The letter cuts off at the end before he could finish his finial thought due to the fact that the Germans had found them.