Mind Over Matter: Reflection!

Hello, and welcome back to another blog post! In our latest science project, called Mind over Matter, we looked at the structure of an atom and theories like the kinetic molecular theory. In our first project, we learned about the correspondences between mass, density, and volume. Our final project for the keystone was to pick an object in the science room, and find the mass, density, and volume of the object. I believe that I chose a small metal block that was sitting on the table, and it was pretty east to find each measurement. 

In our second keystone, we looked at diffusion, and did experiments with gummy bears to learn how to create our own experiments and to do them ourselves. This was a really fun project even though we didn’t get to eat the gummy bears, it was very interesting. My experiment was to find out whether a gummy bear would diffuse faster in normal water or in sugar water. Here is my slideshow that I made to see the results!

In our final keystone, we examined the structure of subatomic particles and atoms, and got to make video games using the coding software Scratch. My game was a maze game where you were an atom and you had to navigate through a maze without touching the sides. It didn’t have much to do with the project, but it was really fun to play! Making it was incredibly difficult, but I definitely learned a lot about using scratch! This was probably my favourite project of the three, because I loved the process of making the game, even if it wasn’t the best thing I’ve ever made. Here is my game!

Because you can’t see the instructions for the game here, you have to use the arrow keys to navigate through the maze without touching the sides. There are three levels. Enjoy!

I’ve definitely learned a lot through this project, both creating things online and doing experiments in a lab. This has been one of my favourite overall projects so far, and I’m excited to see what we will do next in science!