Oregon Coast Field Study

Hello, and welcome back to another blog post! In our latest project, we have been focusing on advertising and targeting goods or services at certain groups of people. Our driving question for this project was “How do we make our medium, a message,” and was focused around what media is, how we use it to send out a message to the public, and how it affects our daily lives.

Because of the type of project we were doing, we decided to use this project as an opportunity to go on a field study! On this trip, we went to the Oregon Coast, and went as far as New Port, Oregon! We got to do all sorts of crazy things, but they still had to be related to the project. 

We were all assigned businesses that we had to design an ad for. My group had the Columbia River Maritime Museum, which was a museum located by the Columbia river that has a numerous amount of exhibits and interactive displays, which make it unique. 

We also stopped at a number of amazing restaurants, many of which were only in the US. My favourites would have been the buffets we went to, because we could eat as much as we wanted! The best meal that we had by far would have been Kam Meng, an amazing Chinese restaurant. 

For our final stop, we went to Wolf Haven, an organization who takes in and rehabilitates wolves that wouldn’t have been able to survive on their own. We learned a lot about wolves and their habits, but also a great deal about the land and why they chose to build Wolf Haven in that exact spot.

I learned a lot about our business before we went on the trip, to make sure that I was prepared to interview the people who ran the museum. Sadly, they were too busy to answer our questions, so we had to improvise heavily with our ads. 

The trip wasn’t completely about ads! We got to do a number of cool things while on the trip, including zip lining, laser tag, and go-carting! It was an amazing experience, and I got to go with my friends.

Surviving with people from school for a whole week can be challenging, but it was worth it for some of the moments and the experiences we had. I mean, those kind of things are cool, but they’re just so much better to share with friends!

The trip itself had some up and downs. The bus broke down while we were close to our campsite, and we had to wait in the bus for over an hour. But because of that, we got to ride in a limo! We also stayed in yurts for most of the trip, which was cramped, but fun!

This is the book that I created that documented the trip! Enjoy!