Argh Matey!

You can’t stop me. I don’t choose this anyway. I’m gonna do a few more school posts. After that, well, let’s be real here, I’m not going to use this blog until I have to start doing it again. That’s not what this post is about, mind you. I’m here to talk about my project, which is officially called: Argh Matey!

this project was actually a joint project between the school subjects of maker (ADST, sort of), and Scimatics (science and math). No, these aren’t normal Canadian school subjects, but rather, part of the PLP (Performance Learning Program) program that I’m in. This project, despite it’s name, focused on the age of exploration. Our end goal was to make a comic book about a famous explorer, and a disease that they would carry. It didn’t have to be 100% historically accurate, for example, the disease didn’t necessarily have to be one that this particular explorer contracted. The disease aspect was, unsurprisingly, the Scimatics part of it. That means, obviously, the explorer aspect of it was the maker contribution. We attended online classes throughout the project, instead of our regular classes.

Now, of course, I have to talk about my project specifically. First of all, click here. You don’t have to, but I recommend it. Second, you might be wondering about the picture above. That’s a rough representation of the disease, smallpox, which I picked for this project. My explorer was a French man named Jacques Cartier. The basic idea of the story is that he arrives in North America, accidentally gives smallpox to a native chief, killing him. That invokes the anger of the Iroquois native people, who end up in conflict with Cartier and his explorers, Cartier is saved from the disease by modern medicine, and leaves. Here’s a link to my book.

Now, the part that I never wanna do, but always do anyway because it’s important: The curricular competencies. Our first one, the easy one to explain, is establishing historical significance. I did pretty good on this one. Why, you may ask? Well, it’s because I focused on important events that actually happened, such as the accidental naming of Canada, or the angering of the Iroquois people. As for the other one, connecting, I did pretty good as well. This is because I listened to the feedback I received, and I was aware of my connection to the story.

That concludes this blog post that I almost accidentally deleted, but saved. I end it off the same way no matter what though, a big, ole…

*brofist*