For Mother Russia! Winter Exhibition 2023/24

Privyet Comrades, today I come to speak the glory of Mother Russia and how she was changed forever.

Okay now that you’re done reading that in a thick Russian accent, let’s get a quick summary of what we did.

This winter exhibition we made what Mrs. McWilliams christened “metaphor machines” which are Rube Goldberg machines (those are unnecessary complex machines relying on a chain reaction to complete a simple task) that metaphorically represents a certain revolution. I don’t know if you could tell, but mine was the Russian revolution of 1917, which for many reasons is a very important event. For instance, we wouldn’t have things like GPS, cellphones, and hydrogen (nuclear) bombs. Why? Because this revolution is what started communism in Russia, which stayed around for 68 years, and the western world was concerned with.

Alongside our machines were documentaries that we made to explain the creative process of actually making the machine.

Now that you know what we’re doing, I want to do as advertised and reflect on my experiences.

For me this was definitely one of the better experiences compared to other exhibitions, and I say that for a few reasons. First of all, we didn’t stay at the school super late like in exhibitions past. 

Another thing that did and always does help me is being personally interested in the subject matter, in this case revolutions.

We all had roles, and mine was very involved in the documentary and creative side of the project, so that’s what most of the post is going to be about.

Haha that rhymes

This was my 8th or so video this semester, so I’d like to think that I’ve gotten more competent at my scriptwriting, filming and editing abilities. That being said, this video isn’t the best example of that, and I’m quite unhappy with it. 

You’re probably thinking “okay well maybe you just suck”

And to that I say touché, and I’m unhappy with the video because to be frank, it looks really bland. I couldn’t find a way to edit the video without making video way to bright, and having all the colours blown out, which was really annoying for me. I also know that the audio could’ve been miles better that what it was, which again, annoys me.

Nevertheless, you can still watch it here.

Now that you’ve watched that let’s….

You didn’t watch it

You’ll watch it later?

Okay

Sure bud.

No it’s fine.

Anyways, on other news, we’re getting back to my reflection

Something I was really happy about was the actual machine, and how it worked somewhat consistently, as well as most of us being able to explain the different metaphors that make up the machine.

And with that, I will leave now.

Bye