The Golden & Green Coast

On March 6th our class departed for our final PLP trip. Since I entered this program in grade 8 the field studies have been one of the things I most looked forward to. Having the opportunity to do things I would never do on trips with my friends or family is one of my favourite (and sometimes least favourite) things about these trips. This trip was going to take us to one of the most famous, and influential cities in the world. A hub of business, entertainment, and culture, Los Angelos, California.

In the hills of LA

As with all our PLP trips there was a project focus, for this trip it was the collective identity of the West Coast. Leading up to the trip we researched everything from Disneyland to the National Park Service. The west coast collective identity was broad, it was extremely hard to find an identity which encompasses small towns like Comox and Port Angelos to world renowned cities like Seattle and Los Angelos, to tourist hotspots like Whistler or Tofino. However after hours of discussion, research, and thinking we figured it out, somewhat. 

A sunset from the northern gulf islands, a very different place then the hills of LA

We (the teachers) broke the groups down into 5 elements of west coast culture, unreal realities, the great outdoors, cultural mosaic, film & entertainment, and art & architecture (my theme). If you had to ask me which topics I could speak on at the start of the project, I could tell you about the great outdoors and maybe film & entertainment. After this project and field study I feel like I understand how all of these elements come together to create the west coast culture we know and mostly love. 

This understanding was put to the test with our creation of a docu series. 5 episodes, speaking on each of the aforementioned themes of west coast collective identity. The creation of the videos certainly came with its FAILS and hiccups. From a miscommunication between the teachers and my group which led to a highly rushed stand up section at Griffith observatory. To us not realizing how hard it would be to find knowledgable people willing to let us interview them about our relatively niche topic. If I’m being completely honest I only think our documentary came out ok. Personally I think I could of done a better job at filming a lot of the angles in a more interesting way, and worked with my group to get more stand-ups and videos.

I’m also proud of myself and my group mates Keenan and Ryan for getting things together and creating a cohesive video and story even with setbacks such as our narrator getting sick. I think that we all did a good job at playing to our strengths to get this video out on time and answer the driving question of the project. I learned a lot from filming this which I can apply over the next 4 years in University. Hopefully next time I create a video project there will be less FAILS and more successes.

Now one element of the project I haven’t touched on very much yet is the driving question. “Why are some people able to see around corners in ways others are not, and by doing, shape how we see ourselves in this changing world?” Well the driving question does not seem initially linked to the aspects of west coast identity, innovation and “seeing around corners” is a key aspect of west coast culture. Brands like Disney, Starbucks, and Boeing all innovated there respective industries in a new and exciting way. Even outdoor conservation was innovated on the west coast in ways which are now copied across the world. Why does this happen so much on the west coast though? It comes back to the allure of this region, bringing in innovators and business’s. As well as the inspiring scenery and laid back culture which promote thinking and new ideas.