So far this year in class we have been focusing on steampunk and what it is. We have read the book Leviathan which is set during world war 1, but the book has these super cool mec’s that are powered by steam. First I will answer the question What is steampunk? According to Wikipedia “Steampunk is a sub-genre or genre of science fiction that features steam powered machinery rather that electricity powered machinery or advanced technology”. In steampunk the aesthetic is very interesting, the clothing is inspired by victorian era clothing, the technology has its “guts” showing, an example would be if there was a clock or watch it would have all its cogs and innards on the outside of it. I think the aesthetic of steampunk is the most interesting thing about the genre, I think it looks really cool and unique. So, that’s why my question is Who does the steampunk aesthetic appeal to, and what makes it appealing?  img_0162

I think the most appealing thing about the steampunk aesthetic is the look of the technology and the clothing that is used. In steampunk the machines are always usually powered by steam, hence the name Steampunk. The materials used in steampunk to make these machines/technology is usually made of metals like brass, steel, iron, copper, gears and cogs, rivets, old light bulbs and wood. Clothing usually worn in steampunk is long coats, corsets, vests, capelets, goggles, dresses, pocket watches, etc. The clothing is usually made from leather, velvet, silk, cotton, wool, etc. In this picture down below I have drawn a picture of a machine from the book Leviathan, its the stormwalker. A machine used in the book piloted by the main character Alek. I think the stormwalker looks very cool and interesting, it reminds me of a vehicle that you would see in a movie like Star Wars or some science fiction movie.

img_0104

I think steampunk appeals to people that like to be different and stand out more due to the style and aesthetic of steampunk being so unique. I think steampunk is appealing because it is so different and unique. If you watch the video that I have provided below it shows fans of steampunk attending a steampunk convention, this video shows different elements of steampunk and delves deeper into the aeshtic of steampunk.

I found that video very interesting because it shows the elements of steampunk and goes deeper in to the aesthetic and why people like steampunk. I hope that you have enjoyed reading my blog and hopefully you have learned something about the aesthetic of steampunk and why people find steampunk appealing.