Month: June 2017

Franken what?

One of the biggest final projects of PLP 9 was the Frankenstuffie project, this included almost all of our subjects like math, science, geography and ecology. At the beginning of this project we had to learn more about the geography of Canada and of the certain area that we would be given, we had to know what the terrain would be like, what animals would love there, what resources would grow there. We then had to create a monster/villain that would challenge the main character, we made the monsters in math class and also had to fin the measurements of our creature. We then had to write the overall story and include specific words in the storythat would make it sound more “scientific”. After completing the story we had to create the main character in a physical form, we had to cut up different stuffie to show a physical change in the animal. We then had to form this into a movie/video that would show the change if the animal and the human impact on its region, the villain would have to affect the animal or area and we would have to show how the animal adapts to the change and either overcomes the villain or how it fails. Below is my video, it took awhile to make as I used so many different resources, I hope you enjoy my video!

My fairytale

In PLP we have started a new mini unit on Education and Careers, the main point was to get us to think about our futures and maybe what we’ll possibly be doing career wise. The overall project of this mini unit was to create a “fairytale” of our past and future, we also had to do some career quizzes to see what possible future jobs we could be good at. We then had to make a time line of all the important things in our lives to reflect what steps lead to this. On this timeline we had to show what the most important parts of our past were and then what we predict would happen in the future, like what job you could have or what you’ll be doing. Below will be the video that I created for this project, Im still not really sure what I would like to do in the future but I put some ideas into the video that I enjoy.

Canadian History

In PLP socials we have been learning about the history of our great country Canada, all the way from New France to the creation of the CPR(Canadian Pacific Railway). In this blogpost I will be explaining to be what I think the most important part of Canada’s history was, a part that defines us as a country and shows a huge part of our history. This is a very hard question for me to answer as there are so many incredible parts to Canada’s history that we Canadians should be proud of, these past couple weeks/months we have been learning about the CPR and general history of Canada’s history. So what part of Canada’s history do I think is the most important, which part defines us as a country and makes me proud to be a Canadian, I personally think the most important part of Canada’s history is the CPR or Canadian Pacific Railway.

Tpol time!

Hello and welcome to my tpol blog post, in this post I will be talking about why I feel I am ready to advance to the next grade level. I have learned many new different skills this year that I will use for the rest of my life. Before joining PLP in grade 9 I had never known how many different and incredible things the well known I pad device could really do, before I would use this piece of technology as a form of entertainment but now I know how to fully use the potential of this device. I’ve learned how to edit videos, script, direct, collaborate, share, plan, manage, and various helpful apps. This incredible tool helps me organize easier and plan things much faster, it allows me to use technology whenever I need it and However I need to use it.

My learning:

In humanities this year we have done plenty of fun, exciting, stressful, time consuming, varied projects that tested many of the skills I used and helped me learn new skills. A few examples of the projects that I have done that I’m proud of are “DI” and our “crazy person” Seattle video. Each of these projects have tested my skills and have made me an even better student. DI was a major thing for me as I had never really had a big team project like that in that level, I learned MANY skills from DI like to always glisten to everyone’s ideas, always be creative, and accept the thought of revision and perfecting your work to put out you best piece of work. DI also showed me what real teamwork is like and that to succeed everyone has to give their everything. On the other hand the “crazy person” project video is something im very proud of, I basically filmed the whole video and pulled our group together as my two other classmates in my group weren’t getting along that well so I pulled us together so our team would work more efficiently and productively. The video explains how somebody went above and beyond, it shows what they did with their life and how they were almost “crazy” for always pushing for the best. For our person we chose Kurt Cobain the lead singer from the Seattle band nirvana, we chose him as he was actually a little crazy but also because he worked so hard for his dream and it almost made him go a little mad. In each of these projects revision was the key to success, always improving and adding to your work succeeds the quality and makes it way better, this year I’ve become accustomed to revision and it really helps me become better.

Destination Imagination

Crazy person

2. Maker time has really helped me this year with coming out of my comfort zone with presentations being a massive part of the projects. At the start of PLP I was never the one who would love presentations, I did know quite a few of the kids in PLP but some I didn’t. I was scared to share my opinions with people I didn’t know but that soon changed, I am know more confident to show my work to others as they could give me critique and help me further my learning, I’m now more out going but I still have space to improve in the future. This block has really been a big part of my learning and testing of my skills and has thought me so much with the projects like Blue Sky, and the things I carry project.

Blue Sky

Things I carry

3. Math and science have never been my strongest subject, I feel that you have to truly understand the concepts to succeed. This block has pushed me to expand my learning and I’ve honestly learned so much important information in these classes this year. I feel that the beginning of the year for scimathics was a lot easier than the end year section, at the beginning most of the projects covered the whole unit and we did all our homework on the iPads. At the end of the year we mostly get worksheets and tests, I find that sometimes I do loose the worksheets and I definitely need to work on my organization skills and knowing where they are at all times. I do find myself struggling with tests, I’m not sure is it’s the pressure or what but I find myself struggling. For me studying defiantly helps with getting a higher score and doing better in these classes.we have had mini projects in these classes such as the cell city projects which helped me visualize and research into and help me with my drawing skills.

Cell city project at bottom of page
This year I’ve had a real struggle with time management with homework and friends, I do admit to going out with friends while I have homework and this needs to change as at some points in the year I have had overdue or incomplete homework and no one ever wants that.This really has to change as I hate seeing that little red mark on showbie showing that my work is late and next year I would have to change this. It’s my goal for this to change and I think it’s easily possible I just need to put school work in front of free time, so if I get my homework in on time I’ll have more free time on the weekend.

A big part of PLP will always be “revision required”, by the end of the year I don’t even really think of revision I just do it. You always want to hand in your best work and having multiple drafts showing your improvement is just a big part of the projects, I really like improving my work and projects so that I know I have the best possible work I could. I’ve learned to accept revision as I use it almost every week, during DI me and my group definitely used this skill a lot as we wanted to have the best possible work we could.

This year I’ve learned so many important skills, I feel that this year has been my best year of school. This program is apart of my life and it’s just so incredible, I love the freedom we have with projects and just this program makes learning so much fun. All of the teachers are

Skills, Knowledge, Abilities

willing to help you at anytime and they all want you to succeed. The skills I’ve learned this year will be with me for the rest of my life and I find myself now using them every single day, I can’t wait to see what next year holds for me and I’m so excited for grade 10.

Blue Sky 🔥

On Thursday June 15th PLP held the second and final Blue Sky presentation of 2017, the presentation area was divided into four sections. Toddlers, Tweens, Pets, Seniors and the grade elevens debate area. The grade eights and nines where given the task of finding their own inquiry question, we where given a couple age groups to work within as we couldn’t solve any problems within the “teenager” and “parent/adult” age groups. We had a couple days to brainstorm ideas and thoughts towards what we actually wanted to solve and make, personally it was very hard for me to find a question to solve. I knew I wanted to somehow help my grandparents but I just didn’t know how, my grandparents where on a trip in Argentina and calling them was pretty hard so I was left with researching online. I was interested in making some form of organizer for an elderly person with dementia but didn’t know where to start so I looked in another direction.

Elderly people with shaky hands usually will have a problem with taking their medicine, due to they’re shaky hands they’ll spill the medicine by knocking over the bottle or they won’t be able to get the correct amount of medication and take too much or little. I wanted to create something that would help with keeping type bottle in one place and also help stabilize they elderly hands to help with the dosage problem. I then decided to start planning what my project would look like by designing my first draft, I wanted to keep the design simple and easy to use for the elder but still look clean and nice. Designing the product wasn’t to hard but going out and buying my supplies was quite the challenge, I wasn’t sure what materials to get and what would work so my three drafts are quite different. My first draft is pretty similar to the last and the second draft is my least favourite, to me it looks very ugly and unimpractical but each draft served a purpose, to get closer to the end goal and solve the problem. My final draft still doesn’t look incredible but it works very well and I am proud of what I have accomplished.

Also at blue sky we had our projects divided into groups, my group was the seniors and we had to create a theme to our area. We decided on Tim Hortons as seniors usually like eating there, we bought Tim bits and doughnuts for food that people could have after watching our projects. This was my second time doing blue sky and I can say that I am much better at public presenting and overall talking to people, about a week earlier I had my things i carry presentation and that definitely helped me a lot with presenting projects. I learned a lot about how to talk to an audience and how to make a presentation better flowing/more interesting to watch, my second time at blue sky was a lot more natural and I knew what it was going to be like. My first blue sky was very different to me as a didn’t really know what it was going to be like, I still did very well the first time but I can see how I’ve improved over the year. Blue sky is a great way to show of your problem solving skills and is a really fun way to create something that you actually want to create, I really liked showing off my hard work. This year it felt like less people came to see my presentation but the people that did come and watch stayed a lot longer and actually asked questions about my project, they seemed way more engaged and it was really nice to know that they where interested in my ideas. Next year I hope to have an even better experience with Blue sky and have and even better project, I also hope to improve my presentation skills further so that I can do even better.

We also had our Science projects displayed in the hallway near our projects, the idea of this project was that we were learning about the cell and all the parts of the cell. We wanted to display this on a poster somehow so we decided to present it like a city, all the parts of the cell act like a part in a city and this poster shows that as a project

What do I carry?

Recently in Health and career we had a project that would show the ten things we carry with us every day wether they are physical or mental we had to show each thing and create a Keynote showing everything we carry and showing off our keynote skills.

The first thing I did was was watch a few videos on how keynote works as I had never used it before, once you learn how it works it’s actually really easy to use, it’s a great app for presentations and I can’t wait to use it again as there are so many different features and cool things you can do. We were required to use a few features like magic move, object transition, cropping, etc… which were quite easy to use. After that I decided to brainstorm some ideas as of what I carry, this step wasn’t too hard as I already know what I carry physically and for the mental things I chose skills that I have or bits of information I’ve learned. To make my presentation more interesting and lively I decided too add some humour into it as it’s one of the things i carry with me, I also decided to mostly use photos that I’ve taken not ones from google as the presentation is about me so I wanted to use pictures I’ve taken. The physical things that I carry with me are my phone, camera, friends, humour, and my earbuds, the mental things I chose were memories, dreams, ideas, my positive attitude/feeling, and the advice from my parents. Each of these things helps me get through my day and without them I wouldn’t function the same.

This project was very fun and overall actually very fun, I loved creating my keynote and loved watching all my friends presentation. It’s a great way to learn more about your classmates and it thought me a lot on how to use keynote, which I will definitely be using again and can’t wait to improve my keynote skills.