Month: September 2017

How did World War One start?

There are many theories and reasons why World War One started off, in this post I’ll share my thoughts and theories on how World War One started and what lead up to the event. I believe World War One started because of the desire for strength and power in the nations, they also had the arms race Which they had to enter into to build their empires. I believe the war started way before the first shot was fired.

From 1841 to 1914 countrys across the world were trying to expand their empires, to help do this they would need the best military to expand their empire. Technology advanced new inventions in guns, ships, chemicals and tanks fed the aggression from countries. Nations across the world invested tins of money into funding the creation of these projects to advance their military’s, so they could grow upon and protect their territories. This along with extreme nationalism created an explsive environment in Europe.

Kaiser Wilhelm said in a speech: “We have conquered for ourselves a place in the sun. It will now be my task to see to it that this place in the sun shall remain our undisputed possession, in order that the sun’s rays may fall fruitfully upon our activity and trade in foreign parts… The more Germans go out upon the waters, whether it be in journeys across the ocean, or in the service of the battle flag, so much the better it will be for us.”

This quote shows the extreme nationalist held by the German chancellor in 1901.

To support our thesis we had to create a visual to go along with it, we could get in to groups or create one on our own. I grouped up and together my group created a short comic and a video on the events leading up to World War One:

After presenting our video to the class we peer edited and gave each other feedback, our feed back was mostly positive. At some points the audio was a little quiet and that at sometimes there was background noise during the script part. In this project I learned a lot about World War One and the events leading up to it, I learned a lot more about the development of technology. This Project was very fun as we had a lot of time and freedom to complete it, we also had full creative control so we could do whatever we want as long as it was historically acurate and showed our learning.

Camp trapilano

This summer was probably the best summer I’ve had so far, I saw my friends nearly everyday, I went to so many concerts, I made new friends and stayed up late every night. Had many many “sleepovers” and mainly walked around all night with my friends listening to music on our speakers until the sun came up and then went to sleep all day and did the same the next night. So obviously going back to school wouldn’t make me happy and I can garuntee that almost everybody hates the idea. The first week of school went unexpectedly great as we had a trip planned with in the first few days, we had a retreat planned to camp capilano but until the day of we had almost no idea as of what we were going to be doing.

We left for camp capilano mid day and we had a quick little stop at the Capilano dam before walking over to the camp site. When we arrived at the dam we were assigned our first of three assignments on the trip. The assignment was to create a video intro for a reality tv show but there could be no actual audio, the  only audio that there could be was music. We had to introduce 10 characters in groups of 5 and each charecter had to have and show a different personality, look different from one another, and each introduction for the character was around 3-6 seconds so it was a little tricky to do this. Last year in grade 9 we focused more on filmmaking and how to tell stories so we all knew and have used some of these skills from last year, but this year in grade 10 were focusing more on podcasts and only using audio to create a well thought out story.

We were put into groups by the choice of candy we chose, so if you chose a Kit-Kat you would all be in one group, but when everyone decided there candy we didn’t know this. I guess me and my friends are more similar than we think as I was in a group with Kyle, Simon, Lucas, and Aiden. We only had an hour to film, edit, and review the video that we had created, we quickly got to work to create 10 characters and figure out what sort of  show our characters would be in. In the end we created the video and decided that our tv show would be a little like big brother and the real house wives in one, at the end we kinda lost track of time and when an hour was up we still had to name all thee characters and Aiden wa style one naming them. Later when we got to the cabin we all had to watch what each group had produced. Below is my groups video the name of the show is, The capilano trailer park boys.

Later on when we arrived at camp and had viewed each other’s videos we were given a second assignment, our task for this assignment was to get in the same group and retell that same video assignment story but this time only using audio. Each of the 10 characters has to have a hobby or something that makes them unique and identifiable. My group decided to keep the same theme but entirely change the characters, our story line changed as well, we decided to record like it was a previous episode of the show. It began with “last time on house of ten”, we recorded it so that there was a charecter walking through the house of guys and introducing them all. It wa Avery funny to record as we all had great ideas and it wa s just very entertaining to make. I also found this assignment much easier to make them the first as we did t need to worry about visuals and mainly had to focus on the characters and making it entertaining.

The third and final assignment was definitely the most challenging to make, we had to create a 4 min podcast with the whole centre topic being about identity. We could tell any story but it had to be real and obviously believable, and the story had to be approved by the teachers. We could also choose our own groups, we all grouped up and I ended up being with Robbie and Kyle which was great as we all work really well together. We quickly got to work as the assignment wa added the following morning at 10, it was actually pretty easy for us to come up with ideas as we are all very creative expesially Robbie. We decided using the story of Kyle’s daily hair routine as within our large friend group or the whole PLP class everyone finds kyles hair to be “funny” as he uses a lot of gel. The podcast would also be very original and funny, it didn’t take us long at all to write the script and we quickly got to recording. We recorded pretty fast and got into editing the whole podcast, this would be our first fully edited podcast we would have ever made and I don’t think it’s actually that bad, we had included interviews with many people and the audio quality is actually pretty good. Camp Capilano was a great learning experience for me, I learned how to podcast and tell an interesting gripping small story with just audio and it was lots of fun. It was a very short and quick trip but we achieved so much over such a short amount of time and I had so much fun, I’m actually very excited to create more podcasts and see what different stories I will be podcasting in the future. I’m also very excited for the other field study’s and hope that we will have more fun assignments like this as looking back it was so much fun.

Goals

Last year at the beginning of grade 9 one of our first mini assignments was to create a poster showing our face and a goal that we would have for the year, my goal was to read more books as it would increase my vocabulary and my knowledge about writing.

This year we’re doing something completely different, this year we have to chose three “Smart Goals”. A smart goal is a well thought out and planned goal, it shows each step and how you are going to achieve your goal. To show our goals we needed to record our voice talking about each goal and have a well thought out visual to go along with each goal. We had a topic for each goal but it was our choice to choose the goals, the first goal was to choose something about our work in school, second was for our attitude as a person and third was for our work outside of school. Below is the audio recording as well as the visuals that I made for this assignment.

Now I’ll talk more about my goals and why I chose the , my first goal is to be more organized with my school work.

My organization skills have never been very good, but being in PLP makes organizing a lot easier as we don’t use textbooks and mainly just use our iPads. My iPad is very unorganized and finding old assignments and projects to look back to has never been that easy, the textbooks for my classes outside of PLP have never been organized and losing homework is quite easy for me. So this year I’d like to have folders and organize all my homework and notes for every class so I can easily find them when I need them, and for as my PLP classes I’ll have different folders for each subject and have my notes better organized.

My second goal is about my attitude as a person. I chose to be more patient, sometimes I’ll rush a project or an assignment and won’t put my best effort in or I’ll take people’s criticism about my work negatively. I’d like to be more patient with others and their opinions as it has helped me before but I’d like to always take others opinions as suggestions and not become un impatient.

And my final goal is about my life outside of school. I chose to manage my time better as my life can get quite hectic at points, from balancing time with my friends and my homework, to finding time to spend with my family and also having to go to work and make money. Sometimes I’ll make bad choices like putting my friends over my school work when an assignment is due the next day and I’ll hand in my homework late which is never good, and sometimes I’ll be out with my friends all weekend and spend no time with my family. I’ll have to leave time for my school work and my job, my family and friends, and also leave time to relax.