Month: December 2017

Sins of the City

I’ve spent my whole life in Vancouver, out of everywhere I travel I always love returning back to my home Vancouver. I have no idea what it is but I just over my home city Vancouver, maybe it’s the people or just the beautiful surrounding but I lobe every part of it. But surprisingly I’ve never really learned or invested any time in looking into the history of Vancouver. In PLP we just had a whole unit on looking into a certain event in Vancouver/Canada and also looking at a past problem during the “interwar period”. I was really interested in this unit as I live in Vancouver and I could really relate to it and got to learn a lot about my home city. The main driving question for this unit was “Through the emergence of Vancouver was the experience the same for everyone?”. And the main project for this unit was to make a podcast using this driving question and creating a group podcast with three other group members explains the events and to include interviews to further the podcast.

With only a little bit of introduction to this unit we started off with going to the Museum of Vancouver to look at Vancouver’s history and find some topics that we could use in our podcast. Before we left we were given some different ideas of topics and I was more interested in the immigration topic and the one about city development in Vancouver. The museum was fairly big and had a lot of parts to it, my favourite section was probably the one with all the neon lights and talked about how Vancouver used to be the city with the most neon signs in the world. I learned a lot about Vancouver’s past and the beginnings of Vancouver, and even why it’s called “Vancouver”. We did make a video of everything we did in the museum of vancouver and We also added some pictures of my group working on our project, we do have a behind the scenes video but this is more of a fun just showing what we did in the museum.

After going to the museum we were given our topics and our groups that we were to work in for this unit, I got paired with Spencer, Claire and Sydney and out topic was “Immigration”. We started off with looking for a event within the interwar period that we could focus on, it did take

some time but we finally settled on an event where a group of Jewish immigrants coming from Germany in the 1930’s was turned around from coming to Canada because they only were accepting farmers and people who could help our country at that time to come into Canada. We were all very interested in this idea and quickly got to researching about how we could relate this topic to a more modern event of immigration in Canada. Sydney has family  friends who have experienced Immigration into Canada first hand from The two Children they had adopted, we made a group email asking if we could use her for a interview in our podcast. After we requested an interview from a border officer that works at the Canadian border, Sydney’s dad had a contact at the border so we also emailed inquiring for a interview.  While doing this project we had the task of making a “behind the scenes” video of the creation of this podcast, here is that video.

After setting up our interviews we started to gather up all our research to make and perfect a script for the podcast. We really wanted interesting and important questions for our interviews as an interview is meant to further and enhance the overall assignment so we wanted to definitely nail this area of the podcast. We spent plenty of time going back and reading through the script perfecting it and adding the right amount of information but also making it interesting and enjoyable to listen to. I’m not much of a fan of writing but this script was very interesting to make as I was learning a lot about the equality rights in Canada, I learned a lot more about the country I live in and it was very interesting seeing how the rules and requlations have changed over the years.

After we stared recording our script and gathered up all the interviews, we needed to nail the

And finally after the podcast we had a final task, we had to write a 500-700 word essay about our topic. For my groups topic we decided to write about immigrants with disabilities and how poorly they are treated. Our argument was that the immigrants should have more rights to be able to immigrate into Canada. I started researching and watching videos about immigrants with disabilities in Canada and I was shocked upon how poorly they are treated. Some examples would be of family’s that have tried to immigrate into Canada an done family member would have a disability, no matter how big or small the disability the whole family would be turned around and would not be able to enter Canada. In my essay I used several instances like this to further my opinion and try persuade the reader if they had the opposing opinion. We then had to compile all the essays in our group and make a big essay including the ideas from our essays. After making this final essay we would email it to Terry Beech, a Canadian politician. Overall this project wasnt my favourite but it was a very important project, we all learned more about Canada the country we live in and major problems within the country. It’s very important to get involved and learn about what’s happening in your own country or the world. The essay helped me a lot with writing as I know this won’t be the final essay of the year. I’m very proud of every deliverable I did in this unit and I can’t wait for what the next project is.

Work safely

Grade 10 is a lot about growth and discovery, we students learn about the real world and what possible job choices there are in the future, the Planning 10 unit is all about teaching students what they could possibly do in their future or skills that are key for when you are out of school. In this Unit of Planning we are learning about work place safety which is quite useful for me as I have had a job for almost two years.

We started off this unit by taking online quizzes about workplace safety, I found it quite easy as I have a job and already have a general idea if something is safe or not. After we watched some pretty disturbing videos of real teenage workers that were in life changing accidents, it really opened my eyes to how one little mistake can change your whole life.

After watching the video and reflecting on it with the class we talked about how we could make workplaces more safe and what some common injuries were. We then researched the rules and regulations between jobs, employers, and the employee. We then took a quiz with the whole class to correct some images with several mistakes in certain workplaces. As I do have a job witch is dishwashing in Osaka Sushi I have a great knowledge for what is right and wrong in a work place, I’ve been working for almost two years and when I first started I got the usual tour of where everything is and what to do within when I am working. I was also shown what to do in case of a fire and what to do in case I get injured, in all my time of working I’ve never been seriously injured I’ve just slipped and fallen a couple times but nothing serious. A lot of injuries caused I find are more from common sense and I’ve have enough experience to know what’s right from wrong.

With this being PLP and us having a new unit of course we would have a little mini assignment to go along with it, we had to create a visual that would compliment our learning from this unit. For my visual I used photoshop mix which is a photo editing app and I made a mini add/banner that recreates a Work Safe BC poster.

Processed with Snapseed.

I’m very glad that we learned about work safety and the rights as workers because it’s very important for when your older town know what rights you have as a worker and what you can do if something does go wrong in your workplace. We were supposed to have a guest speaker come in and talk to us about Work Safe BC but they didn’t show up. A couple weeks later a woman did come in and talk to us about Work Safe BC, it was basically a recap of what he had already learned but we did learn a few new things and the most important thing that I learned is that there’s a law if you work at a gas station or somewhere that could easily get robbed you don’t actually have to protect the goods in the store if you are in danger, I guess people do just try protect the goods as it is human nature but I just found that interesting. I’m really glad we learned about this unit and the mini visual assignment was fun to create as I love using photo shop mix.

Namesake video

In Plp we were given a mini group side project to research and create a mini film about a historic part of Vancouver that we thought was interesting. Me and my friends really like to be outside and with it being winter we decided to do our mini film on Mt. Seymour as I have spent lots of time on this mountain from either hiking to snowboarding. In my group I had Spencer Simon Calum and I.

As this being a mini project we had a short time period to fully edit and create a mini film that would show the history of that place and why it’s called what it’s called, we would also have to create a bibliography for our video and have different elements to in the video. My team mates Simon and Spencer went up to Seymour after school to try get some footage for our film but with the weather being terrible and it being pouring we couldn’t get much of our own footage which was very disappointing as we were excited to get recent footage of Seymour, instead we just used old footage that each person in our group had from being up in our past. We also wanted to get personal drone footage as it would be nice to have Ariel shots of the beautiful mountain but that was definitely not happening with the weather so we used drone footage off of the internet. We started editing the video as soon as possible so that it would be finished by the deadline and if anything were to go wrong we would still have time to finish it.

I’m actually very happy I chose do do Mt Seymour for the topic as I learned quite a lot about the Mountain and it’s history, Did you know Mt Seymour used to be owned by a Swedish emigrant in 1938. Years later the government of British Columbia ended up buying the mountain from Harold the emigrant, the government held ownership up until the mid 1980’s when it was sold to the present owners, the woods family. The woods family made some upgrades to the mountain like putting in the lodge chair as well as the Brockton chair. Lately the mystery chair lift was upgraded from a two seater to a faster four seater chair lift, One of the biggest story’s in the news about Mt Seymour is a tragic one. The highly decorated search and rescue volunteer, Tim Jones passed away from a heart attack while on Mt Seymour, his legacy will never be forgot and he was a great loss to Vancouver.

I can’t wait to go up Mt Seymour this season with my newfound knowledge, I go up Seymour multiple times a year and I’m so glad I chose Seymour as the topic as I know have learnt a lot about it and Seymour is a great place for everyone to go to. Our video is below if you would like to watch it.