So last week PLP 10 went on a field trip to the BC Tech Summit, it was held downtown in the convention centre and was there for two days. We went for the second day which was more for the “kids”. We mainly walked around the convention centre talking to young entrepreneurs about their start up company’s or how they are involved in the community. Walking into this experience I didn’t really know why we were going but I’m really glad we got the chance to go. I had a great time walking around the building either playing the games the entrepreneurs had set up or just talking to them about their company, my favourite company that I had found was called frontrvnners. They are a start up clothing company in vancouver, they make and design all their clothes in Vancouver. This really interested me as they had actually got famous rappers like Nav to wear their clothing and advertise them. I’m really into clothing and I had a great talk with their workers. They weren’t just focused on making clothing they also landed deals with artists and photographers that are well known to help build their company. 

We we then went into a main hall and sat down to listen to the main entrepreneurs talk, there were lost of motivational speakers talking about their life stories. My favourite guy who came on stage was probably Brent Bushnell, he introduced his company the Two Bit Circus. Two Bit Circus focuses on virtual reality, augmented reality and mixed reality. What really interested me was that his company has already been making really cool music videos online, the video they made is very impressive and overall he seemed like a really nice genuine guy. After watching a couple more presentations. Another presentation that stood out to me was David Katz, he’s the CEO of Plastic Bank. He started off his presentation with very deep and thoughtful ideas “the last thing the world needs to do is clean the ocean, because we need to first turn off the tap”. I wasn’t exactly sure if I liked his company and the idea of it as he takes ocean plastic and sells it but he poctects a lot of money off of it instead of it being non profit.  He seemed nice and live sin our community of deep cove but I just wasn’t sure on his company.

This is whole experience was very interesting and fun, I hope in the future years of PLP we go to more events like this because I actually learned more about my city and the whole industry of companies and how they work. I also got a lot of free cool merchandise and met really cool people. I had a great time at the BC Tech Summit and would actually like to go again, I learned a lot from listen g to all the motivational speakers. Looking back I can just remember all the great experiences I had at the Tech Summit.