My tPOL

Welcome to my tPOL. Today we will be discussing my growth throughout this school year. With school coming to an end now is a great time to reflect on how I have grown and what I have learned. But the most important part of this presentation is me proving that I am ready to move onto grade 11. With all of that being said let us begin. “Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

The focus of my presentation is this:

This is a photo of success behaviours that I have looked at throughly and have decided on three behaviours of mine that will be useful for me to continue developing.

The first behaviour I have chosen is Reflection. The reason I choose this is because I believe that I am not consistent in this area. This may be confused with being to hard only myself but what I am actually doing is reflecting. I tend to be positive in certain times and not in others, for example if I am interested in the topic we are studying I will have a positive mindset, but if its vice versa I will often produce worse work and not even have the mindset to reflect on my work. My main point is that I like reflecting on success but I should be reflecting on my failures as well. To fix this problem I Will start trying to see the value of failure and use it to not only better my work but myself as well.

The Next success behaviour is resilience. This Is one of my favourite success behaviours because I believe that anyone with a good mindset can tackle any challenge. I believe that my strongest Success behaviour is my resiliency. An example of this would be revising. When I would hand in work 2 or 3 years ago that would be the final and only time. I didn’t care enough to revise, I wasn’t resilient enough. Now 2 years later I see it as the easiest opportunity to improve my work and show that I care and really do work hard. Resilience isn’t just being disciplined, it is not even being fazed by or demotivated by a lot of work or a frustrating task. Although I consider myself a resilient person I still have lots of room to grow, for example when I play soccer and I make a mistake that demotivates me and ruins my confidence, lately I have noticed that when I make a mistake I decide that next time I won’t make the same mistake. Here are some photos of an Ebook we just finished for humanities. The reason I am showing these images is because I didn’t have a great mindset when it came to doing this. My mindset wasn’t bad because I didn’t like making Ebooks or I didn’t like the subject, my Mindset was bad because I recognize my artistic skills as a weakness at times. I often blame this on being colourblind but that is not why I see it as a weakness. It’s because I often compare my work with my peers when I should be comparing my work with what I am capable of. I ended up pulling through because I wanted to end school on a good note and practice a resilient mindset.

So far I have listed A success behaviour I am great at and a success behaviour that I am not consistent at. Now the Final focus is a success behaviour that needs improvement. For me the success behaviour I need to work on the most is Balance. I am a busy guy, I play high level soccer, I go to the gym, I am a PLP student, and I try to have time for myself as well. I have always struggled balancing aspects of my life and this can lead to a chain reaction of things Happening, for example handing in work on time has been a challenge as well as focusing on the task at hand. I notice that sometimes when I have a lot on my plate I have to go through a mental checklist before I can even think about doing work or relaxing. My brain is often is cluttered which causses me to not be a fully extending learner. If By next year I am able to balance my life and not feel stressed then I will be able to say that I am a fully sophisticated learner. To do this I am going to start utilizing strategies. For example if I am ever stressed about something than I will ask myself if I can fix it and if I can fix it that’s great and if I can’t fix it than why am I even stressed out. I will also make use of systems and habits such as going to bed earlier or using reminder apps to keep track of work.

If I am able to keep growing in these ares and other areas I will be an even greater student and I will not feel pressured or stressed. But the main question I am trying to answer is “why am I ready to move onto the next grade level?”. My answer is what I have mentioned in this presentation. For me my main two reasons would be that I can communicate effectively and that I can reflect. First of all reflecting is something I have done during this presentation and I also reflected on how I need to reflect more. And the most important reason I am ready to move onto the next grade level is that I am willing to communicate. You can only go so far with your mouth shut. As I have gotten older I keep realizing that I need to advocate for myself, ask questions, communicate with peers, communicate with teachers, and everything in between. That Is why I am ready to move onto the next grade level. Thank you for your time.