img_1558

I’m back for another blog post. Though this one isn’t about my summer, or revolutions. No, this one is about something quite cool (not that my summer wasn’t awesome)

This is about steampunk

Now, for those of you reading this who may be confused, Steampunk is a style of literature and an actual subculture which started in the 1980’s, based off of books that involve a Victorian-Era based place with steam run machines. Quite a lot of gears and fancy metals

img_1562 img_1563

Thats an example of Steampunk outfits on some awesome people and a steampunk projector. As you can see, it’s a lot of gears and metal and Victorian based clothing. Pretty awesome.

**Side Note: A great example, if you’d like to see more of the clothing, would be the music video to The Ballad of Mona Lisa by Panic! At The Disco. Just click that link there, the lead singer wears some Steampunkish clothing. The song is also good

So, I had to dive deeper into this awesome style. Well, Willa The Fabulous gave me the idea.

Does the Steampunk style have anything to do with the Punk style?

img_1564

And I did.

So, for this idea, I decided to look up the style of dress that Steampunk and punks wear. That’s when I realized something

img_1602

The gothic style of clothing is very similar to the Steampunk style. So I added that in. I drew three different types of dresses. One Punk, one Steampunk, and one Gothic. And, if I do say so myself, they turned out awesome

img_1598

(From left to right, Steampunk, Gothic, Punk)

The hair was an extra touch that I wanted to add in because otherwise they’d be bald. Not that bald girls aren’t awesome, but I like drawing hair.

So, I compared the similarities to these dresses

1: Corseted

img_1599

As you’ll notice, all three have those weird strings going around the front. That’s called a corset, pretty much in the olden days it kept your waist small. In the Steampunk dress, you’ll notice that it actually is a typical corset. Since the Steampunk style is based around the Victorian era, World War I, that would probably be the purpose, to keep your waist looking thin, or to help fit into the dress. In the gothic dress, along with the Punk, I don’t think it’s there to keep your waist thin, but most likely just there for decoration because it does look cool

2: Boots

img_1601

The boots on all three of these models are all about thigh or knee high, usually to protect the legs. But you’ll notice that the Steampunk one has heels. Heels were originally worn by men in old France to A) look fabulous, B) used by horse riders and C) worn by butchers to avoid stepping on blood. I’m assuming here that this model wasn’t a butcher, so probably wore them to seem taller.

3: Laces/Layers

img_1600

All three of these models have quite short dresses, the gothic one being the longest at knee length. You’ll notice that they all have laces on their skirt, most likely for decoration. There are over the kinds of lace, all with different pattern. Lace doesn’t actually serve a purpose on the dress, but all three styles seem to use it for it to look interesting. The layers on the skirt tend to vary. It’s safe to say there is probably a few layers underneath the Steampunk dress to make it stick out like that, where as the Punk and gothic layers are all visible to make it look more appealing.

So, to answer my question, I think that yes, the Steampunk style does have to do with it the Punk style, in the clothing at least.

I hope you enjoyed this post, a third one will be coming up in the next week!

Read Ya Later

Ruby