Math isn’t a subject I do posts about very often, mainly because in the past years we’ve done it, we haven’t done anything that we need to post about in Math. I think the last time I did a post in math was this. This year is different, as we’re doing math projects! I mean, what did you expect out of project based learning? So, for grade ten, the first thing we’re studying is trigonometry.

Mainly, how to find the angles of right angle triangles. This involves using a trick called SOH CAH TOA. Each three letters stands for how you find the angle. For instance, SOH would be: sin (the angle) =opposite/adjacent (the opposite and adjacent sides of the triangle). It’s a way to find an angle if you want to be more precise than a protractor.

Our project to do with SOH CAH TOA, as we had to do a project on solar panels, and the angles that they’re at to get the most amount of sunlight. This means researching stuff such as time of day, where your solar panel is, the angles that the sun is hitting it at, and the angles of your supports for your solar panel. It also had to include a bit of personalization, and a write up to explain your project a bit better.

Along the way, to help clarify, we did a lab based off of the project. We got one sheet of wood and put a solar panel on it, facing the nearest light source. Then, we added supports underneath, to see what the best angle for getting light was. It depended on where you were in the classroom, as everywhere was in different proximity to the lights. I did this lab with the wonderful Willa, because who else do I ever do anything with?

Then it was on to creating the project, and bringing it to life. Cue Frankenstein reference.

I chose to base mine in North Vancouver, in around October. (totally not because it’s october and I live in Vancouver what. Also, if you’re still reading, happy Halloween! If it’s not Halloween for you, happy whatever-day-it-is). Because in October, at the solar noon, it’s not directly above the solar panel, but it’s just off, so if you put the panel at the right angle on a flat roof, than it should absorb the most amount of sunlight.

Then it was on to making the model. My first draft was a picture of a 3D model I had made at home, with all of the measurements and calculations on it. Though, it just wasn’t enough.

I went onto the revision and the second draft, which I think went a lot better, as I put more effort into it and planned my time out so I could get it done on time. I have a bad habit with procrastination. This second draft included the proper calculations, and my write up was more detailed.

I guess you could say this project made me pretty… bright. Get it? Because the sun is bright? And solar panels? I’ll go home.

Onto the next project, I guess!

Read you later!

Sincerely, Me