So for this unit in science, we focussed on energy and how to get energy in nature. Personally, I don’t know much about all this stuff. But, I got assigned to a group that helped me learn a lot more about it. Our task: we had to make a generator that could produce power from nature, and then create an advertisement about it.

If you go all the way back to grade eight, we know bout advertisements. The bigger issue for me was learning about how to generate energy. Turns out it’s fairly simple. We had a hand crank generator, which spun a mini motor inside which helped power some LED lights. We went through a few prototypes of our generator. First with spoons, then we used plastic containers and wood:

The current of the river got caught in the containers, which then spun the motor inside and lit up the lights. But just how much energy did it produce?

This is when we got into the math. We had to make a graph about how many joules the generator would make, and how long it would take to charge an iPhone. An iPhone takes 1800 joules to charge, which would normally take around 2 hours and 40 minutes in an outlet. Our generator only produced 24 joules ever 20 minutes… so if you wanted to charge your iPhone, it would take around 25 hours. Happy waiting.

The advertisment was the easiest part. We filmed the generator spinning, and added in a few statistics, and then filmed. Ryan played a character called electro boy. It was a good time.

As always with these posts, I gotta add in the mind map.

At the beginning of the unit:

At the end:

Read ya later

Sincerely, Me