WW1 Comic/Exhabition

Have you ever seen a comic book about WW1 at a presentation of learning? You probably haven’t unless you attended the recent PLP exhibition, where the grade presented their WW1 comic books, mine being on monchy-le-preux. This years end of year exhibition was definitely a hectic one, and I’ll touch on what went well  and what could have been improved in the exhibition and in my individual comic book.

My comic book had 20 panels and was about monchy-le-preux, where ten Newfoundlanders had to protect one of the most strategic points in the western front. I focused on one of the ten, Albert Rose and made a realistic story around him. Working on the comic book ended up pretty well but there was some challenges on the way to success. I had a knockoff Apple Pencil that the wasn’t best so I definitely had a harder job than many to draw. On top of the Apple Pencil, I wasn’t familiar with sketches pro and throughout the project I learned how to be efficient with my drawings, going from a simple drawing taking an hour, to a good looking one taking twenty minutes. 

This recent exhibition went pretty well but definitely could have been a lot better if it was prepared a little differently. I don’t think we had enough time for this project in general but especially the decorations, costumes, and food. We didn’t even have costumes and food and our decorations were random sticks and leaves picked about thirty minutes before the exhibition. I think we could have cut the nationalism project a few days short to have a bit more time to work on the exhibition preparation. In the end I think most individuals were pretty proud of their projects everyone showcased their drawing skills and the visitors seemed to be engaged.

This project and exhibition helped me learn to draw on an iPad so much better. The exhibition grew our team building skills, within the chaos of preparation we all somehow managed to make a presentable space for the public. I also improved at managing my time, I set out how many panels I needed to achieve each day to stay on track, which helped so much to makes sure I would have my comic ready by exhibition. In all this exhibition and comic project went pretty well and was a really great learning experience for me.