Yesterday was the Blue Sky exhibition. The thing was, it wasn’t just the Blue Sky project that was presented there. We had the Blue Sky project, the museum project, (Link to that post when I write it) and the Scimathics project. This is the Scimathics project.

So basically we had to make a project that showed how we understood light, and reflection. We had to use transparence, translucence, and opacity. This was to prove we knew how light travels.

For my project I made a cube from old CD cases. I don’t know how I found any, they are really old. Anyway I painted two sides black so that they would be opaque. I then painted a sunset on two other sides. The paint was very thin so those sides would become translucent. The final two sides I didn’t do anything to, they just stayed transparent.

Inside my cube I had an open stained wood chest (about the size of my palm). Inside the chest, well as inside as I could get, was a wooden ball painted yellow to represent the sun. The other thing that was inside was the Raven. It was really an owl but the paint job that I did  made it look a bit more like a Raven.

For the exhibition I created a display poster describing my project and including some images. I am going to leave you now with that poster that was at the exhibition.

(How the Raven Stole The Sun)^3image

To demonstrate what we have been learning about light, I have built a cube containing a visual representation of the story “How the Raven Stole the Sun.”

I made a cube out of old CD cases. Two sides of the cube are opaque, 2 sides are translucent, and 2 sides are transparent. The opaque sides are on the top and bottom of the cube, so the viewer has to look in through the sides. The transparent sides are unpainted while the translucent sides have a painting of a sunset as a background for the story.

Inside my cube you can see a chest. This is the chest that the raven steals the sun from in the story. The chest was unfinished wood so I stained it to give it a better finish. The Raven actually started out as a model owl which I painted to transform it into a Raven. The painting style follows traditional First Nation artwork. I used the best colours I could find. If possible I would of added a slight bit of blue to the black to make it more navy, but it still looks good.

I have bilateral symmetry in my project. If you split my project in half you will see the same thing. I also added a light to the top panel of the cube so that the items inside would be highlighted and the sunset sides would appear more translucent. This also causes a reflection on the transparent sides.

Ryan Leonard