So in PLP right now we have been studying Crane Brinton and his theory The Anatomy of a Revolution. If you don’t know what Crane Brinton’s theory is it describes how a revolution works. Everyone in our class had to come up with an inquiry question about his theory. My question was “Out of the 4 revolutions described in Crane Brinton’s book, which one fitted most accurately to his theory?”. I decided to create a scoring system to analytically decide which revolution fits the best. Our answers had to include media, so I decided to create images to show the “score card” for each revolution. Without any further ado let’s see my score cards:

In the end the French Revolution stood no competition at all. They got 81.25% the next best was the Russians with 58.33%. The American Revolution has often been described as being a poor fit to the theory. It got the worst score in my system, which I think is a pretty good validation of my scoring. The British Revolution wasn’t much better as I only found some elements that fit well. The American revolution got 37.5% and the British got 47.92% which is only about 10% better however I believe the British would be happy to know that they keep the Americans off the podium!

Definitely, out of the 4 revolutions only the French revolution truly fit with the Brinton’s theory. However I could see elements of each stage in the other revolutions.