So in math class recently we have been working on creating and designing monsters. This is a part of the geometry unit, but more specifically composite solids. We had to draw out our original design for our monster. (Unfortunately I don’t know where it is).

We then had to make the monster a reality. My original plan was to make a wire frame of him and then cover him in silicon to make him fun to do stuff with. However I didn’t have a silicon gun until after the weekend so I couldn’t cover him in silicon. I had made the frame but the problem was it really wasn’t a composite solid. He was basically a 2D wire in the shape of someone that had 2 extra legs.

So I had to make something else. I wanted to stay with the 4 legs idea, so I got 4 Jenga blocks and used those for legs. I then found a little cardboard box for the torso. I managed to find a old tennis ball that was made to look like a baseball and used one of the seams to look like a smile and drew the rest of the face on it. Finally for the arms I got a straw and cut them into two 10 cm pieces.

To make it math related we also had to calculate the volume of the monster as a whole, and each individual limb.