So for the past month in science and math, we have been working on electricity and linear equations. The 2 subjects ended up getting combined in this case so that we could use both in one project. Our project was to create a working generator from nature and then to graph the performance of it. We would then have to make a video around it once all that was completed.

To start off the unit we went on a field trip to the powerhouse in Stave Lake. Here we learned how the energy we use at home is made. We saw all the different processes that go into it.

For the project were put into groups of contrasting skills. My group was Spencer, Claire, and Ruby. We decided that a water wheel was the best way to go for the generator as it was by far the most reliable. As long as you have good flowing water you can create energy. Rather than with a solar panel, it has to be sunny or else it won’t generate much power at all. We got a hand crank generator and went from there. We glued a PVC pipe onto it so that we had a solid base, then used cut up wood for arms. We then glued on some plastic containers onto the sticks, however, some of the containers broke so we ended up using some pop cans for the last few arms. We got all of our energy production recorded and Ruby made the graph, so we were ready for the video.

For the video, we decided we wanted a very cheesy superhero video. One where the superhero doesn’t actually really help anything rather than show up and look cool. Due to me being away for the first day of planning the video, I got signed up to be the superhero. We got all our clips recorded, so I took them into premiere pro and made the video.