Is Your Workplace Safe?

So many people are wanting or have jobs at my age and I’m one of those people who wants to work and get my own hard earned money. But do people really know the safety risks of the job they are working and if so do they know how to properly address these safety risks?

For me personally the only jobs i have worked are as a referee for basketball and babysitting and although these jobs do need applied skills I have never worked for a business or franchise. The thought of safety risks in in a job came when we started our work place safety risks in planning 10.

We started off this unit with a quick survey about how we felt in our workplace if we have a job and I decided to fill it out for my refereeing job for basketball. Which for me personally I don’t feel poses many risks although after taking the quiz it kind of altered my opinion a bit as it made me realize some of the safety concerns i wasn’t thinking about before. Here is the quiz:

During our next class we went onto watching a video called “Lost Youth” about people who were in positions with some of them being life threatening. Many of the injuries during the video could have probably been prevented with proper training or a better description of safety hazards in the work place. One of the stories in the videos was about a girl who worked at a pizza shop and was cleaning one of the machines when she stuck her hand in and lost multiple fingers. I definitely feel like this incident could have been avoided as this was in my opinion the fault of the lady working as she is the one who stuck her hand inside the machine. All of the other people’s stories in the video ended up with serious injuries which made me question my workplace safety knowledge before this unit.

Once we finished the video w then went onto learning about some of the rules and regulations for all workplaces in Canada to follow. We also learnt about our rights to say we don’t feel comfortable doing something in the workplace if we feel it’s unsafe or wasn’t properly explained. For example if you are working in a chain restaurant with a machine that your manager wants you to use and you don’t feel if the instructions from your employer has not been explained well enough you can say no. To learn more about the rules, regulations and our rights we did a worksheet which at times felt pretty tuff to complete but after looking over all the worksheets hazard rules.

Here is the worksheet:

Then after completing these worksheets and mini quizzes, we the went onto create a piece of media representation of what we learned what to do and what not to do in a workplace. This could be anything from a visual art piece to a audio recording or a mini movie. To represent my learning I created a visual with superimpose of different unsafe scenarios in the same workplace to show what I had learned throughout these past couple of weeks. Here is my visual:

In my visual I created the unsafe parts of the image are the boxes which are stacked in an unsafe manner as well as being stacked in the middle of the aisle. Another this is the water on the ground which is an unsafe situation for costumers with no wet floor sign, as well as the cans stacked on the floor instead of the shelves. Also the shopping card obstructing the aisle and the mop leaned against the boxes.

Overall I think this unit really opened my eyes to what precautions need to be taken to work in a safe environment as well as taught me how and what to do in an unsafe work place. This is one of the first parts of planning 10 and I am glad we covered this as we will most likely be working for the rest of our lives and now we can be safe and responsible with what ever job we choose to do.