Getting All Geared Up

img_7340

So. We’re learning about steampunk, which is, essentially, a subgenre of science fiction, and an aesthetic used in things like art, music, and fashion. The idea of steampunk is that there is an alternate version of the Victorian Era where modern technology exists, but is powered by steam.

So, similar to with Brinton’s theory of revolution, we had to ask a question about something that we didn’t cover in class.

So, I asked myself: can I make a steampunk dress?

Now, I didn’t want to make a full-size steampunk dress. Instead I decided to make a doll dress. Here’s a video, complete with yet more generic iMovie music.

After doing some research on how to make steampunk clothes, I sat down and got to work sketching out a pattern for the dress I wanted to make. As I did so, I realized it would probably be easier to sew a top and skirt separately, so I altered my plan a little bit, and continued on to cutting out the pieces of fabric I would need.

Once I was done that, I sewed the pieces together, and decided that while I hadn’t made exactly what I wanted, it was close enough to keep going.

img_7435

It was only when I went to make the dress steampunk that I realized I had no clue what I was doing. For all that I had researched how to make something look steampunk, I didn’t have a plan on how to turn the assortment of steampunk-y things I had into something actually steampunk.

I did my best to attach the random eyelets, safety pins, key, and other pieces of metal to the dress in a way that looked steampunk, and upon failing that, turned back to the Internet for more inspiration, but eventually I realized I just had no clue what to do.

So, to answer my question: could I have made a steampunk dress? With more effort and planning, and the right materials, probably. Did I make a steampunk dress?

img_7436

…That about sums it up.

Toodles!